UNION PACIFIC 4014 BIG BOY Saw her today Union pacific crew making progress

Started by NarrowMinded, September 22, 2013, 01:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

I'm very happy to report that I saw the union pacific crew working on the Big Boy today
They are working on drive rod bearing in preparation for the move to the restoration shop, talking with one of them he confirmed that they plan to have this lovely lady running on her own steam in five years or less.

That standard 5gal bucket gives some perspective of the size of the loco for those who may have never seen one in person, it would drop in the bearing hole with plenty of room to spare.

NM-JEff

BaltoOhioRRfan

i wish CSX would have a steam program for us people here in the Eastern US. The only steam we have here in Baltimore, Birthplace of American Railroads, is an 0-4-0 Tank Engine, and a "Crab" and a 4-4-0 "William Mason" for orginal stuff, plus a few replicas. be nice to have a modern B&O steam engine under steam again, but there are only two such engines left. the 4500, a 2-8-2 and 5300 "President Washington" a 4-6-2. Be nice to have those running again, I'd be happy.

As for engines CSX could probably obtain for use on specials would be
B&O 2-8-2 4500
B&O 4-6-2 5300 "President Washington"
C&O 2-8-4 2704
C&O 2-6-6-2 1309
C&O 4-6-4 490 (Steamlined)
C&O 2-6-6-6 1604 (very unlikely to be under its own steam again, too heavy and too large)

I heard the WM Scenic was at the museum looking at the 1309 to see if she could be rehabed. But not likely to happen as the Curator doesn't want to loose it.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Desertdweller

I'm looking forward to seeing 4014 come through town.  I live on the main line east of Cheyenne, and see 844 and 3985 when they come through.

Les

M1FredQ

Please keep us posted.

It would be great if WBB had a Big Boy come out the same time as U.P.'s. Special Edition!!!

Have it so it could negotiate 0-31 Fas-Trac and you might have a winner?

phillyreading

Quote from: M1FredQ on September 22, 2013, 02:19:55 PM
Please keep us posted.

It would be great if WBB had a Big Boy come out the same time as U.P.'s. Special Edition!!!

Have it so it could negotiate 0-31 Fas-Trac and you might have a winner?

Hey Fred!

Have you seen one of the Union Pacific big boys close up, within 15 feet even.
These are huge steam locomotives, to make a model in O gauge, even semi scale, would need almost 054 curve track. The U.P. big boy was a wheel design(if correct) 4-6-6-4 articulated.
There is a static display of a U.P. big boy in Scranton PA at Steamtown.

It would be great to have a U.P. big boy model in O gauge.

Lee F.

richg

I have been to the Big Boy in Scranton. Big Steam.
I have seen some smaller steam locos running there.

Rich

jettrainfan

I saw the one in Scranton and it gives a new meaning to "Bigger than life".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

3rail

Fred and Lee,

Williams already made the Big Boy locomotive TWICE.  Once in 1987 and once in 1995 (with sound). Other manufacturers have made them as well. These models are frequently sold on eBay for a fraction of their original price.  The MSRP was 1299.95 on the first production and $1499.95 on the second.  I just did a completed auction search and several of them sold for $600 and lower.

This model is 36" long and has a very limited market in O Scale, so there will be no plans to make any in the foreseeable future. 72" curves are a minimum and they still have a huge overhang.   

Regards,

3rail

Doneldon

Quote from: jettrainfan on September 24, 2013, 10:05:50 PM
I saw the one in Scranton and it gives a new meaning to "Bigger than life".

jtf-

They are huge all right but so are many other locos. The Big Boy at the Missouri Railway Museum outside of St Louis (a fabulous collection and well worth a visit) is parked next to a Santa Fe Texas and, to my surprise, that Texas is almost as large as the Big Boy because its 10 drivers are so much bigger than those on the Big Boy. The Big Boy would win on brute muscle but I'll bet the Texas could pick 'em up and put 'em down a whole lot faster.

-- D

RAM

The drivers on the bigboy are 68 and the driver on Santa Fe 2-10-4s are 74inch.  How ever the tender on the 2-10-4s were much longer than the bigboys.  Never got to see either of them in operation.  I did see them while the were still on standby , but was not there at the right time.  I did get to see a lot of the 4-8-4s in operation in Kansas.  Great locomotive to see at speed, which they were good at.

NarrowMinded

Hey all just a heads up,

The Big Boy is on the move  to the restoration shop.

She may be passing through a town near you.

NM-jeff

jbsmith