piano wire turnout throw rods

Started by SteamGene, October 01, 2007, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

Quote from: ASIANLIFE on October 03, 2007, 12:47:52 AM
Another tip is to bend an omega shaped loop into the operating wire to handle any tolerance issues.

Paul

That's an extremely good tip. Great way to compensate for overtravel and provide positive contact at the same time.

SteamGene

I've come up with at least a temporary solution.  I've bent the wire at the layout edge to 1600 mils (90 degrees) and slipped a 1.5" piece of 3/32" plastic  pipe over it, held with a spot of hick super glue.  I'm painted a small white strip to indicate turnout position for the straight and red for the diverging. 
It's not the finest looking affair right now, but it protects grandchildrens' eyes for right now.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
I never inferred or implied that DPDT switches were hard to get-they are as common as dirt.  As a contractor, I get most of my run-of-the-mill electrical/electronic components  from supply houses.  Radio Shack is retail and a bit too pricey for my tastes.  Some of the best prices are from DeMar, and as was mentioned, Mouser.

Those slide switches can be mounted under the roadbed system, the mounting system, as well as desired circuiting, can be any of several ways that I can think of, they need not neccessarily be in sight.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Rich,

Sorry, I guess I read that part of thread to fast to catch your meaning the first time around.

I mount mine right next to the switch like a switch stand because I like the simple association of what switch controls what turnout. Never did like the pull knob on the facia thing.

I use manual turnouts for all locations that would be manual on the prototype. Including a fairly large yard with ladders branching off the lead in both directions to feed eight tracks. That would create such a cluster of little knobs to pull with no easy way to associate them. The yard is right at the benchwork edge and the benchwork is only 34" high so reaching them is easy.

My mainline turnouts are powered with tortoise machines and flip flop push buttons. These turnouts are controled from local tower panels and a main CTC panel. LED's at both locations show the position, pushing the one button changes it to the oposite position.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I've mounted one of the Radio Shack switches. The turnout it controls is right on the edge of the layout, on a corner, and it just seemed the most practical approach, and gave practice in mounting.   I agree they are a bit pricey, but I may order from one of the mail orders  you guys suggested and convert the rest.  Still, I sort of like my jury rig system.  It works fine and is visible, yet not obtrusive, either. 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"