News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum J problem

Started by wobblinwheel, September 25, 2013, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobblinwheel

I have a relatively new Spectrum NW j 484 that has developed a problem with the front "pilot" wheel flanges. The flanges have worn through the paint on the front of the cylinders (which are metal), and around curves, creates a short. In the dark, you can see blue sparks when the wheel contacts the cylinder, then the loco STOPS, and the breaker trips. I had the exact same problem with my Spect. 2-8-0 and had to modify the pilot drawbar in order to move the pilot wheels FORWARD in order to clear the cylinders. Unfortunately, there isn't enough room on the 4-8-4 to do this. A set of PLASTIC pilot wheels would be ideal in this case, as they wouldn't conduct current. I'm using 11.5" curves, and this shouldn't happen. Anybody experienced this, and have figured out a FIX? I thought about sanding down the flanges a little, but am afraid of derailments. Anybody know of any plastic wheels (that don't look just BLACK) that can be pulled from their axles? Ideas?

Mike C

I don't have one of these locos, but is it possible to file the cylinders just a bit for clearance ? I do remember some HO locos came this way. Also a very small piece of tape placed on the cylinders would keep the wheels from shorting.  I think if you remove the pilot truck you may be able to file down the flanges a bit. An Atlas plastic freight car wheel set might possibly be able to be substituted for the stock metal wheels also. ....Mike

nscaler711

My suggestion is to get rid of the 11.25" curves. The Bmann 4-8-4's should be on broader curves, try 12" curves instead
I know it says the minimum is 11.25 but I'm telling you broader is better.
Tape might work, but do not sand/file the flanges... you will cause more problems than you already have... 
If you can take a picture of the affected area for us.
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic