FA2 FB2 Just DCC or DCC with Sound?

Started by flyinggeologist, September 27, 2013, 06:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinggeologist

I'm new to this and am building a layout to represent my hometown back in it's glory days.  Its kind of a community history project on a 4 by 8 layout.

We'd like to have an HO L&N FA2/FB2 (to match what was in our town) and would like sound.  Is it necessary to purchase both the FA2 with DCC Sound and the FB2 with DCC Sound?  Or just one?

Jerrys HO

flying g

Depends on you, it's your railroad. Some modelers want to be as close to the prototype as they can get meaning a B unit that the motor can not be heard means it is not in use and should be parked.
I myself would be happy just running the A unit with sound and pulling a dummy B unit around.
They are cheap enough that purchasing both with sound is feasible. Check the FavoriteSpot.com website for great pricing.

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: flyinggeologist on September 27, 2013, 06:41:37 PM
I'm new to this and am building a layout to represent my hometown back in it's glory days.  Its kind of a community history project on a 4 by 8 layout.

We'd like to have an HO L&N FA2/FB2 (to match what was in our town) and would like sound.  Is it necessary to purchase both the FA2 with DCC Sound and the FB2 with DCC Sound?  Or just one?

Really, it's up to you.  What your budget can afford.

Me?  I always go with sound but that's what I chose.

jward

it's nice to have all units in a consist with sound, especially if they are different types. it's not as much of an issue with a-b consists of the same type. for example, if I were running that fa with say a gp7, i'd want sound in both or neither at all. the two types sound different enough that it would be weird to hear only one. but an fb2 and an fa2 are essentially the same locomotive, with the lack of a cab on the b unit being the major difference.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA