News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

S4

Started by JJR, October 01, 2013, 12:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJR

Just purchased an S4.  I am very impressed with he model, however it does not run properly.  When placed on the track it idles, the horn and bell work, but as power is increased it starts to move and then stops and continues to start and stop.  I am operating on an MRC DCC System.  Any suggestions, or is it time to return it?

jward

try adjusting the deceleration rate to 3. that should limit the spontaneous stops at low speed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bapguy

Do you have more than 1 throttle? If so make sure the loco address is only on one throttle. Change CV29 to disable DC. Remove the shell and make sure all power leads from the trucks to the decoder are attached at both ends. I remover the plastic caps that hold the wires on the decoder and solder the wires to the decoder. Joe

richg

Does any other loco do the same?

Rich

Stevelewis

try  a  decoder  re- set  usually   value 8 in CV8  but  check  the  instruction  sheet it  should  be  specific as  to the  correct  reset details
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

genetk44

Start by making sure the wheels and track are clean and that the pick-ups are correctly adjusted and making good contact with the wheels

ALCO1000

Try letting the loco air out for a wile, Seems that not only Bachmann but most makers use a lot of the same style sleve packaging that is very good , but we here noticed in the northern states that the seal is so good that it creates a condensation with the engine like a pop bottle that sweats in the summer, Had a conversation with Mr English at Bowser about this he agreed with our findings here in Mi.Had a few of these sleve style sound engines do this , found that once you open the package and it looks like there is too much oil on the fuel tank area on a diesel ,It is not oil , thats condensation , let the engine sit for a wile untill you do not see that any more it will evaperate if it is not oil ,
Had a few run exactly how you described as though it was a bad unit , but after it sat out for a day without doing anything to it , it was fine,these were sound on board diesels,Hope this helps!

richg

Quote from: genetk44 on October 01, 2013, 01:41:16 PM
Start by making sure the wheels and track are clean and that the pick-ups are correctly adjusted and making good contact with the wheels

That is a known issue with new users. DCC is sensitive to intermittent pickup. Sounds like that is the only DCC loco you have right now.

Rich

Ed Kunkel

Do you have a track cleaning pad on one of your freight cars?
Recently one of my DCC's was doing the same as yours.  When I lifted the cleaning car, I discovered a sliver of metal - like a portion of a staple - which when removed solved the problem.  Apparently a "short circuit" was occuring.
Ed