LED Lights

Started by TERRYINTEXAS, October 07, 2013, 07:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TERRYINTEXAS

Trying to figure out why the LED lights don't work on my Bachmann Berkshire
that I recently installed a wow sound decoder in
Every thing works ok except the lights
When I push F-O I get the generator sound but no lights in either direction
I removed the LED in the tender and applied 2.5 volts directly to it and it lit up fine

I'm wondering if I have a bad board or component on the board
Or if there is some Wow sound setting that needs changed

has anyone had this problem ?

richg

You should rad 12 VDC right at the decoder leads.

Have you connected the LED's with the correct polarity?
What voltage do you read right at the LED leads?

If the LED is connected in reverse, you will see 12 VDC at the LED leads also since current is not flowing through the resistor and LED.
You will see about 2.5 VDC when the LED is lit when looking directly at the LED leads.

Rich

TERRYINTEXAS

The LEDS were Factory installed so polarity is not an issue i plugged a wow sound decoder into the board and everything works except the lights

jonathan

I don't know what a "wow" sound decoder is.  However, The Heavy Steam Tsunami provided working lights.  As I recall, the Bachmann PCB has resistors built-in for the lights.  My memory is a bit fuzzy on that one.

Is it possible the wow decoder has built-in resistors for the LEDs?  Hence, one would be doubling up on resistors and the voltage/amps is so small, that the lights won't shine.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Quote from: jonathan on October 08, 2013, 09:13:33 AM
I don't know what a "wow" sound decoder is.  However, The Heavy Steam Tsunami provided working lights.  As I recall, the Bachmann PCB has resistors built-in for the lights.  My memory is a bit fuzzy on that one.

Is it possible the wow decoder has built-in resistors for the LEDs?  Hence, one would be doubling up on resistors and the voltage/amps is so small, that the lights won't shine.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Jonathan

New TCS sound decoders. There is quite a discussion going on in the Trains.com, DCC Electrical forum with photos and results about these decoders. DCC is continually evolving. From some other discussions, SoundTraxx is paying attention and needs to move on which will help Bachmann.
The OP should have stated everything, first message. The TCS site gives the specs.
All he has to do is check for voltage at the decoder output leads.

Rich

TERRYINTEXAS

Yes Wow Sound is a new decoder from TCS and they come in different versions
1  Wires only no pin plug or resistors
2 8pin plug with out resistors< the one i used
3 8pin plug with resistors

so your thinking is correct Jonathan  if i would have used # 3