News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large diesels. Bigger vs

Started by Inder, September 07, 2007, 05:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

I'm not up on my N de M so it may well be possible that the ones you saw were painted black. Black is cheaper than buying colored paint.

The SAL engines that were painted pullman green with light yellow and orange trim often looked black and a lot of Pennsy fan will swear that the Brunswick Green engines were actually Brunswick Black!

Reasonable people who like green will paint their rolling stock Southern Railway green.

scottychaos

Everyone knows how to mix PRR Brunswick green,
the formula is legend.

Mix one gallon of black with one drop of green.

;D

Scot

Woody Elmore

Scotty - one drop of green? Too much!

I saw an actual PRR paint chip once at a model railroad meet and if you went into the sunlight the color is a very, very dark green. The color was actually available at one time from the manufacturer. I don't know why the Pennsy bothered.

Penn Central solved the problem; they covered everything in PC black except the books - those they covered in red ink.

As for NdeM I believe it is now private and called FerroMex.  I wonder what colors the new line uses.

Inder

Well,

I got me some decals.  I got some paint.  No it's not some kind of green I got matte black.  All I need is a few Alco U36C's  N scale?
I'm having a hard time finding them.  Maybe I can find something close?
Gene, what do you recommend?

Scottychaos,
I just now clicked on your largescale website and I will be signing up.  I want to create a tiny little railroad on my mom's yard.  I was looking at them today and they're a bit pricey though.  But it would look fantastic and it would be a fun project.  So yeah you'll be seeing me in your forum quite a bit.

Where did you have your decals made?  What program did you create them in?

I am working on converting a lot of steam engines to NdeM railroad and I eventually will need some NdeM rolling stock to go with it.  But the decals for the rolling stock are different and I don't think they are available.

Maybe I can print them at home if I get me a nice printer? 

SteamGene

Inder,
Anybody who has been awhile will tell you that I'm the last person to give advice on diesels.   :D
The best diesel made was a USRA light 2-8-2.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

scottychaos

Quote from: Inder on September 15, 2007, 01:50:37 AM

All I need is a few Alco U36C's  N scale?

That GE U36C..  ;)
the U36C is a U-boat, made by GE, not Alco.

I design my decals myself in photoshop, and there is a guy locally in my garden RR club who has an alps printer and can print them for me.

There are quite a few custom decal printers out there, I dont know of any specifically that deal in HO or N scale, but im sure someone could recommend a place.

I will look for you on mylargescale!  ;D

Scot

scottychaos

Kato made an N-scale U30C.
cant find any references to an N-scale U36C, except a magazine article about kitbashing one!
which implies that specific model has never been specifically available in N-scale.

The U30C should be very close though.
and in N-scale, no one could probably tell the difference! ;)

Scot

SteamGene

Rail Graphics does a lot of custom work and the prices aren't bad.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

The best diesel made was a USRA light 2-8-2.
Gene

Gene;
Hey-Where can  get one?!!  Do you think Trainworld will stock it?  If they don't, maybe Uncle Phillie will some day; huh?... Huh?... Huh??

Rich

The other diehard steamer!
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Inder

I see a Kato N-scale U30C on ebay for pretty cheap.  It says it runs.
Guys please don't outbid me LOL just kidding.

Yeah well I'm buying that one and repainting it for my NdeM railroad.  It's a young railroad, it Just started.  It has two Atlas C628's and hopefully this U30c if I can get it.

I did some research.  The U30C and the U36C are both 67 feet in lenght. 
aside for an additional 600HP I think visually the only thing it has is larger radiator vents.  I had some images side to side in google but I started doing other things before I found any real differences.

So this will be our secret you guys.  I will convert all the U30C's to NdeM as U36C's and no one will know.

Let me know if you come across any.  They seem kind of hard to find.

Woody Elmore

Inder - most of the old timers who prefer steam (like me) will tell you not to worry about the kind of diesel - they all look alike.

scottychaos

Quote from: Woody Elmore on September 16, 2007, 10:56:04 AM
Inder - most of the old timers who prefer steam (like me) will tell you not to worry about the kind of diesel - they all look alike.

yeah, that one always made sense to me.. they sure do all look alike!  ;)
its hard to tell a:

from a:

I cant see any differences!  ;)  :o
must be because they are both EMD's..and they have the same paintscheme..

Scot

SteamGene

The yellow paint on the nose of the second one is brighter than the yellow of the first one.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

djp

The second one has railings. The first has a few handholds.
Get Off My Train !!!

Inder

I got a feeling they're the same one.
You just did some Photoshop trick to them.