News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

type of tender

Started by GRZ, October 15, 2013, 07:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRZ

hi, I asked for help in buying the correct tender for a 4-6-0 Bachmann loco,where did my  request go? is it oil? wood coal Vanderbilt?  :( GRZ

richg

Quote from: GRZ on October 15, 2013, 07:12:24 PM
  hi, I asked for help in buying the correct tender for a 4-6-0 Bachmann loco,where did my  request go? is it oil? wood coal Vanderbilt?  :( GRZ

Not enough info.
Large driver or small driver, 4-6-0?

http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/MooreJB/StmClnic/Bach4-6-0.pdf

The small driver I have. I bought the USRA tender and too large to match to my small driver 4-6-0, Connectors are different and had to use the two jumpers which reversed all three functions. Had to rewire the tender and add an LED resistor.
Looks like the tender for the large driver, 4-6-0.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: GRZ on October 15, 2013, 07:12:24 PM

Did it not come with a tender?  All mine did.

As richg pointed out, your question is too vague. 

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The large driver one should come with one of two larger size coal tenders (USRA type for the C&NW version and one like what is behind the 2-10-0 locos for the NYC and Unlettered versions) and the small driver version should come with a smaller tender identical to what you get behind the Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 but all 3 types come with a coal load as standard.

richg

Quote from: GRZ on October 17, 2013, 07:59:46 PM
thank you for the information,i did not know the 4-6-0 came in two wheel sizes, I picked this loco up at a train show,tenderless, I snitched the tender from my Bachmann 4-4-0,and it plugged in and the loco ran fine, however it looked too small behind the engine, I think I must have the high wheel version because the deck plate is way high and flops down without touching the tender deck, how can I tell for shure wich loco I have?? again thank you all.Grz :o

Measure the diameter of the wheels with a ruler and multiply by 87. Should come out to about 63 inches I believe.
SOP. Standard Operating Procedure.

Look around for a Bachmann USRA Medium tender.

Does the loco have an LED or light bulb? A ohm meter would show some resistance, under 100 ohms I believe. An LED would show max resistance.

Get an inexpensive dial caliper from Micro Mark. I used one for many years that was always close enough. The markings for Metric were very suitable. I now have a digital dial caliper, SAE/Metric  that cost less than $50.00. Everything is made on the other side of the pond.

Rich

richg

Someone else mentioned two different tenders for the large driver 4-6-0. Right now there is a

HO Specrum USRA Medium Coal Tender for $24.95, Buy It Now, on ebay. Looks just like the one I bought. Same box.
Ebay says someone just looked at it. Probably me.

Rich

richg

Quote from: GRZ on October 17, 2013, 09:51:11 PM
Rich I checked that tender out ,this loco I have is set up for dcc,the reason I picked it up, so I guess I need to keep look ing,thank you again.i need now to find out wich loco I have,wow the pit gets deeper.Grz

Very easy. If the loco has two connectors hanging on it, it is the large driver. Those plug into the tender.
The small driver has two receptacles under the loco cab. Two connectors from the small tender plug into the loco.

You know, if you would have posted more info or a photo, this would have been solved sooner.
Some people don't like me saying, get a Photo bucket account and post a picture. Many times that can solve a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectrum-HO-Scale-USRA-Medium-Coal-Tender-for-Steam-Locomotive-NEW-/121192643881?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c37a4fd29

Same one I bought. Undecorated.
Also, more details about the item can work. Just telling us what the details are on the loco.

Rich

richg

Another way to see if the loco has an LED is to use a 1k resistor and 9 volt battery. Connect those to the two pins in the four pin connector. If an LED, it will light. If a 12 volt bulb, probably not. An ohm meter would be a better way of checking.

I say this because my tender came with no resistor for a LED headlight. The PC board had a 120 ohm resistor for dimming the headlight in reverse. That told me the tender was designed for the 12 volt light bulb loco.

Rich

richg

Hang in there. I turned 72 back in April.

Below is a picture of the bottom of my 4-6-0. It has the small drivers. The tender has two connectors hanging off of it that plug into the bottom of the loco. The tender is the small one. Might be difficult to find.
You could try a Google search for bachmann 4-4-0 tender. I don't recall Bachmann ever selling the tender separately. MDC/Roundhouse use to sell a small tender at one time but not for DCC.

Rich

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: richg on October 17, 2013, 09:58:36 PM
Quote from: GRZ on October 17, 2013, 09:51:11 PM
Rich I checked that tender out ,this loco I have is set up for dcc,the reason I picked it up, so I guess I need to keep look ing,thank you again.i need now to find out wich loco I have,wow the pit gets deeper.Grz

Very easy. If the loco has two connectors hanging on it, it is the large driver. Those plug into the tender.
The small driver has two receptacles under the loco cab. Two connectors from the small tender plug into the loco.

You know, if you would have posted more info or a photo, this would have been solved sooner.
Some people don't like me saying, get a Photo bucket account and post a picture. Many times that can solve a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectrum-HO-Scale-USRA-Medium-Coal-Tender-for-Steam-Locomotive-NEW-/121192643881?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c37a4fd29

Same one I bought. Undecorated.
Also, more details about the item can work. Just telling us what the details are on the loco.

Rich

That is not entirely correct. I have the 63" driver version and it has the plugs under the cab as well. The primary difference is you can see between the boiler and the frames on the 63" driver version where you can't on the 52" driver version. Thus why they are referred to as "High" or "Low" boiler.