News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railroad Facts!!!

Started by westsidelumber12, January 02, 2009, 02:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westsidelumber12

Hey, i decided to make this thread for anything and everything related to you favorite railroad, or anyone in general. You can post fact, pictures or stories about the railroad its a free-for-all!!!

Did you know That Santa Fe's Amos and Andy were named after the TV show? (Thanks Alex)

Did you know Amos and Andy where later turned into this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ATSF_10.jpg

Did you know Santa Fe really isn't a fallen flag, they bought BN and int he contract decided to make one railroad BNSF.

Ok theres a lot of did you knows so Did you know......

The Santa FE Blue goose was scrapped because it was always dirty and no appealing?

The blue goose is not the Santa Fe's only streamlined engine the Valley Flyer was streamlined as well.

Santa Fe owned three ferry boats

The first diesel Santa Fe owned is still in existence

OK I'll stop now, but just have fun with it and remember Santa Fe ALL the way!!
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

Yampa Bob

Sounds like an interesting thread, I have some facts from research, but it is not about Santa Fe.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Paul W.

Did you know......... ::)

In the early days of the Pennsyvania RR, they also owned steam powered boats along with the trains. I don't recall how many or exactly what kinds, but I do know they had some tugs.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Woody Elmore

Pennsy, NYC, Erie, Lackawanna and Lehigh Valley all had tug boats that operated in New York harbor.

Yampa Bob

The Moffat Tunnel was completed in 1927, but David Moffat died in 1911. The city of Denver formed a "Tunnel District" and paid for the tunnel's construction, mainly for the water.

Edward Harriman and Jay Gould blocked Moffat's attempts to raise money for completion of the DNW&P railroad in 1911. After the tunnel was built, Harriman brazenly suggested the name "Harriman Tunnel", to which Denver probably replied: "Fat Chance, Eddie!"   8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

RAM

The Santa FE Blue goose was scrapped because it was always dirty and no appealing?  This seems odd.  If it had no appeal why would it be steamed up and used for the news cast of the end of steam in Kansas City.  Topeka Kansas wanted the Blue Goose but were told this it was going to be part of the historical collections.  The only times I saw it, it was a nice looking locomotive.  The Valley Flyer was not streamlined, only simi. 

westsidelumber12

Yeah the blue goose wasn't appealing to passengers, because the blue was always dirty with soot, it should really be considered a failed publicity stunt...And I'm gonna rename this thread Railroad Facts so bring on the facts!!!!
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

kevin2083

did you know......

the CA state route 49 grade crossing on the Mountain Quarries RR neare Auburn, CA was the only crossing in the US where trians had to stop for cars.....
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

westsidelumber12

Really, thats neat, how did that work exactly? Have any pictures?
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

kevin2083

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

Okay.  The C&O Railway dates back to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Company, started in part by George Washington.   The tunnels through the Blue Ridge Mountains were planned and bored by Crozet, an army engineer for Napoleon.   The longest (at the time in the world) Blue Ridge Tunnel was bored from both sides of the Blue Ridge and when the two bores met they were about 1 inch apart.  This was before 1861.   The C&O also ran ferries from Michigan to Wisconsin across Lake Michigan.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

westsidelumber12

coolieo, did you know out of all the surviving steam locomoitives in the US most of them are Santa Fe.
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

Hunt

The first intermodal partnership  between a railroad and a trucking firm was  Santa Fe and  J.B. Hunt.

westsidelumber12

Santa Fe was the only Railroad allowed on the Surfline.
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....