News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Delta trailing trucks

Started by Atlantic Central, February 12, 2007, 04:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I also will buy surplus Delta trailing trucks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Nigel

Quote from: atlanticcentral on February 14, 2007, 03:50:51 PM
If they are making all those, surely they can send Phily a hundred or so.

Maybe not.  It depends on the business license they have in China.  Many companies cannot export anything but "value added assemblies".  A trailing truck by itself may not be considered to have enough value add.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Atlantic Central

Nigel,

Maybe, but there should be some creative way around that. Many have been begging for real supply of extra parts for some time. A complete "service kit" of psrts would surely have a suitable value ad.

And, I will ask again, what happenes to all the warranty returns that don't get repaired? I have an idea, they could give them to me and would run a parts division for them.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Good ideas.  I know, Sheldon, if they don't start offering Delta trailing trucks, you and I could go to their office and start singing "All I Want for Chritsmas is some Delta Trucks."  I don't know about you, but I've been kicked out of fourteen church choirs.
'Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

At least they let you try out for the choir! My singing would bring a new level of rejection on American Idol.

But maybe the mear threat will get us some action.

Sheldon

lanny

I would love to get hold of the Spectrum Heavy Mountain 'Delta trailing trucks'.

I got an old Mantua Delta, and after lots and lots of 'carving' with a Dremel grinder, got it to fit under my present Spectrum Heavy Mountain ... but I am sure the Spectrum Deltas 'look' much better.

I too would be interested in purchasing a Spectrum 'Delta truck' from anyone who has one but doesn't need it (or 2 or 3 ... :-)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

The Delta trailing truck also comes with the 2-10-2, or some of them.  Strangely, it doesn't come with the undecorated one.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

Lanny,
What did you carve on the Mantua Deltas to make them fit?  The samples I have are all way too short.  What did you do, add a short bar?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Sheldon, Gene, and all;
I just checked "Precision Scale Models" and they do have that same delta truck as Nigel referred.  My guess is that Walthers carries their parts (I don't usually bother with the Walthers Catalogue). 
Precision makes some really nice parts!  I think you will be very happy with them..Question of money?  Welllll, there is always another paper route...
On the issue of brass v. plastic:  I don't tell anyone what to do, but for my money, any-and I mean ANY-parts I put on a steamer, are going to be brass-if for no other reason, than for the weight; also however, I truely believe that, for the most part, the resolution with brass is much better.

PARTS SOURCES:
Greenway Productions
Bowser(Cal-Scale, Cary)
Preecision Scale Models

There are others, but I think these may well cover the average bear.

Rich

Oh, That Delta truck on an Athearn Mike might work for the derailing feature that their mikes are so world-renowned for.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

lanny

Hi Gene,

I took a photo (composite) of what I did to make the Mantua Delta Truck fit my Spec heavy Moutain. Here it is.

Since I have accquired some more Spec Heavys to 'bash' into true ICRR models, I will be using these trucks. There is a source on eBay that has them for sale (they look new, but may be repro parts) for $5.95 plus shipping. Use 'trailing truck' for your search word in eBay.

I have some more 'clean up' and final shaping to do, but this truck is working fine. You'll need a Dremel with fresh cutting disks and a file for final smoothing. My spec Heavy runs very nicely with this truck attached.

Rich ... thanks for the 'heads up on Precision Scale. I have been searching Bowser, Cal Scale, etc. and have not been able to find any Delta trucks from that source.

lanny nicolet

lanny

Hi again, Gene and all,

Here is the URL for the eBay guy that sells "Varney" style and "Penn Line" style Delta trucks. I have a couple, but have not checked to see 'if' or 'how well' they will fit the Spec Heavy Mtn. (Hope the URL works ... if not go to eBay and search for 'yardbirdtrains'. He has lots of parts available, about 1800 sales with 100% feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290126748963&rd=1&rd=1

lanny nicolet

SteamGene

Lanny,
It looks like you narrowed the area around the screw hole.  Is this correct?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Rich,

Thanks for the thoughts. I am well aware of Precision Scale and Bowser and even have a current copy of both their steam loco parts catalogs. The real point here is since Bachmann is actually making the part, it would be nice to get one that did not require reeming, filing, adjusting, etc, etc to install.

As to brass vs plastic, well in my 35 years in this hobby, I have seen some very good and very bad in both, so I will judge each piece on its own merrits and use or not use it acordingly. I do agree with the brass advantage of weight.

As for athearn mike, not to defend that thing, but I never had any derailment problems with mine, before or after adding weight. I can see the potential problem before they are weighted because they are tail heavy, but mine all run fine.

Money - trains are like BMW's and swimming pools, if you have to ask how much, your in the wrong hobby. I know this will set off some flamers, but its just how I was raised. Like you implied, if you want it, earn more money.

Still hope Bachmann finds a way to sell parts.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Hi Lanny;
The two Delta trucks that have been pictured here do have a difference; and that is that the one first shown (as well the precision model) is designed as a booster, which I found interesting.  The only boosters I had known about were the Franklin type for two axles, and there was the obvious rod linkages on that assemblage.

If you really want an impressive Mike, try using that C&O type pilot truck.  I am not sure if there is any prototypical connection, but I bet it would surely look good; albiet some tweaking of major proportions might be the order of the day.

I don't know off-hand, how much prep work the brass would take; I am sure there is going to be some tweaking. 

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Rich,

"C&O type pilot truck" ? Are you refering to the external bearing type as seen on Lima Bershires, etc?

If so yes, there is a Mikado prottype with that type of lead truck. The Detroit, Toledo & Ironton had large, actually very large 2-8-2's, built by Lima, super powered and in fact, just as powerful as berk. These have large straight boilers like the Mantua mike and may have been at least part of the inspiration for that model.

Sheldon