News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 message board?

Started by Royce Wilson, October 17, 2013, 08:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

Does anyone know of another On30 message board other than the Yahoo groups?,They have changed their format and it is horrible! >:( ???, this room is mostly for the discussion of Bachmann trains and I thank them for the use of it. ;D

Royce Wilson ;D

JerryB

Royce:

I too find the new Yahoo groups to be virtually unusable. I am a member of quite a few (mostly RR orientated) Yahoo groups but can no longer access them nor post messages. I have written to Yahoo, carefully describing the problems, but do not receive any reply. I have to assume they just don't care.

As to your question, I had repeatedly applied to Yahoo's "The On30 Group," but always received an immediate and permanent turn down from the moderator / owner with no reason nor comment. I find it interesting that the same group owner is now asking the 'lurkers' to please post there. My feeling is that he probably believes his group is an exclusive club for a few, and the rest of us unwashed are just not worthy. No sleep lost, as that is just the way of the internet!

If you are successful in finding an 0n30 site that welcomes new members, please post it here or send me a PM.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

ksivils

I agree the new Yahoo "upgrade" is worse than a downgrade. It is unusable - which leads me to wonder if Yahoo wants the message boards to simply dry up and go away and this is their way of causing that to happen.

Then again, there have been a few, not many, but a few product rollouts that were just as stupid. Remember "New Coke?"

terry2foot

I agree that the new version of Yahoo! (called Neo) is not an enhancement for most PC based users who can use both hands, and in particular that Yahoo! offers no choice in the matter.

However, there are a number of "get-arounds" to the various issues, and it would appear that the functionality of Neo is improving with time.

Some of the "get arounds" have been published as links on the new MaineOn2 FAQ site at https://maineon2faq.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/yahoo-groups-and-neo/
and you might want to try them.

Enjoy the site if you choose to visit,

Terry2foot 

Biglars

Royce,
This is one of the most active sites for ON30
http://www.railroad-line.com/
Larry

mabloodhound

I agree with Larry...the Railroad Line forum has the most active On30 guys.   Although the On30Conspiracy on yahoo is good, the new format is just terrible.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Catt

I also agree with Larry the RR Line On30 forum is a good place to dicuss On30.As for the On30 Conspiracy goes I gave up, on those idiots a couple years back.

Yahoo is definately a bad joke.

ScottyB

I agree. I never even liked the old style Yahoo board, and the new one makes it worse.

I'll admit I own an "On30" related domain that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. I wanted to do a blog but never found the time.

If there was enough interest, I could always set it up as an On30 BB. I just always figured everyone is "stuck" at their present boards and wouldn't want to register for a new one.

I like the Railroad Line, but it seems to be limited to "craftsman" only. Or at least I get that feeling.

If there was the interest in a laid back, friendly On30 only board, I could get that set up. It might take an afternoon or so.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

mabloodhound

Railroad Line is definitely NOT limited to Craftsmen.   We have a lot of bashers and newbies and welcome anyone.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Royce Wilson

Thanks Biglars,I have added the site to my favorites.Yahoo is so screwed up right now and it will not even let me post or delete them! I will use the site you posted from now on.
When Yahoo corrects the problems then I will delete them from my computer.

Royce Wilson

railtwister

Quote from: Royce Wilson on October 17, 2013, 08:43:47 PM
Does anyone know of another On30 message board other than the Yahoo groups?,They have changed their format and it is horrible! >:( ???, this room is mostly for the discussion of Bachmann trains and I thank them for the use of it. ;D

Royce Wilson ;D

Royce,

There is a way to keep the old view for Yahoo Groups, but you need to use Firefox (a free browser) rather than Internet Explorer or Mac's Safari. If you don't already have Firefox, you can download and install it on your computer for free, then install the plug in which is also available as a free download here: <http://ehibbert.org.uk/extension/install.html>. I tried it and restored my viewing of Yahoo Groups to "Classic" mode, and it works fine on my old Mac with Firefox v 3.6.22. If it doesn't work for you, or you just decide you don't like it, simply uninstall Firefox and go back to whatever browser you were using before.

Bill in FtL

Biglars

Scotty,
The ON30 group on that site are some of the best out there and many are published. They are a really nice bunch of guys and are willing to help answer a lot of questions. I have seen many modelers join and there skill level increases greatly within a few short months due to the help they get.
I would encourage anyone to give it a try.
Larry

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Large Scale Central has a sub-forum for On30.  

It's what a lot of the members run (indoors) when their outdoor LS layouts are buried under 2 feet of snow.....

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit:  Not to be missed:  Xavier's build thread......
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ScottyB

Quote from: Biglars on October 18, 2013, 08:06:37 PM
Scotty,
The ON30 group on that site are some of the best out there and many are published. They are a really nice bunch of guys and are willing to help answer a lot of questions. I have seen many modelers join and there skill level increases greatly within a few short months due to the help they get.
I would encourage anyone to give it a try.
Larry

Oh, I absolutely agree. I didn't mean any offense. I've just noticed that a vast majority of posts on the Railroad Line seem to be by the On30 "experts." I have learned plenty in my years of trolling!  ;) And it's the first site I usually visit for my On30 fix. Some great long term sagas going on there!

Another site I'll throw out there : http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/list.php?1 deals with prototypes, but a lot of good info.

Keep calm and On30 on!
Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.