News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which Sound Decoder

Started by June, September 10, 2007, 02:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

June

I have a 2-8-0 and run on DC.  Can anyone suggest which sound decoder I could purchase to install?  Also, is it easier to install it in the tender?  I am new to the hobby and need something relatively easy to install.  Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

fieromike

Quote from: June on September 10, 2007, 02:47:52 PM
I have a 2-8-0 and run on DC.  Can anyone suggest which sound decoder I could purchase to install?  Also, is it easier to install it in the tender?  I am new to the hobby and need something relatively easy to install.  Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
If you're new to this, a sound decoder in the 2-8-0 isn't what you want to start with.  The available room in the loco itself is barely large enough for the smallest non-sound Z-scale decoders.  I haven't tried yet, but have heard that the tender is also difficult to open up without damaging something.
I believe that the newest run of the "J" steamers is capable of having a sound decoder installed in the tender without too much grief.

Mike

June

I read a post from Prometheus? that recommeded the Digitrax DZ123 (for Z scale) and the DZ143 (scale unknown) for the N scale 2-8-0 so I looked them up on the internet and found that they are sound decoders.  If the Spectrum is "DCC ready" (whatever that means) shouldn't I be able to use one of the above decoders in my 2-8-0 ???
Thanks, Bob

Hunt

Bob,
DCC Ready means the motor brushes are isolated from the power pickups and there is some means to accept the installation of a decoder... a socket, solder pads, wires or something else. The easy way to isolate the motor brushes is to isolate the motor.

Bachmann has provided room for a decoder to be hard-wired in the 2-8-0 locomotive. See http://www.nscalesupply.com/BAC/BAC-2-8-0.html Note no room for the required speaker. If you modeling skills are up to it, a speaker can be placed in the tender.

While Digitrax makes sound decoders their DZ143 and DZ123 are not sound decoders. Suggest you visit Digitrax

June

Thanks guys...I am starting to learn something, but I have one more question...How can a person tell if the J Class is a new version or an old version?

fieromike

Quote from: June on September 11, 2007, 03:23:12 PM
Thanks guys...I am starting to learn something, but I have one more question...How can a person tell if the J Class is a new version or an old version?
I believe that only the new version of the "J" has holes for the speaker in the tender floor.

BTW, here is an in-process shot of a DZ123 being installed in my connie:

Mike