News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-2 heavy decoder install

Started by Cut and Run, February 12, 2007, 07:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut and Run

I have heard that if you plug a decoder into the socket that there can be issues because of the original circuitboard. I would like to install a tusnami
decoder. If this is true how would I install the decoder?
Thanks

the Bach-man

Dear Cut,
You will have to mount a speaker, but I believe that's the only issue.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

Which tender does your USRA 4-8-2 heavy have?  I believe the standard rule is to cut the capacitors regardless.   Mount the speaker under the coal load if a coal tender.  Oil fired, you're on your own.   :)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Cut and Run

Thanks and i am sure what the capacitors look like. there are two things together that are labeled C! and C2. Are they it?
Thanks for your help

Cut and Run

If I cut the capacitors do I need to bridge the gap with solder?

SteamGene

No, just cut them.  They look like yellow-orange M&Ms on little metal legs.   Either cut them off completely, or cut one leg and push it to the side.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

hodecapod

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH DATA ON A STEP BY STEP DECODER INSTALL IN A 2-10-0 DECAPOD STEAM SPECTRUM? NEW TO DCC AND WANT TO INSTALLL A DECODER THAT IS BY SOUNDTRAXX FOR "MEDIUM STEAM"  DSD 090 LC... DON'T WANT TO SCRW IT UP AND BURN THIS THING UP???

ANY HELP??

JIM

Jim Banner

JIM, if you cannot find instructions for you particular locomotive/decoder combination, perhaps someone from of the the local clubs can give you a hand.  I am not thinking in terms of the club memeber doing the job for you as much as watching you do the job and offereing advice.

In our modelling group here in Saskatoon, we do just that.  Or we will install one decoder with the person looking on, then watch them install the second one.  Once in a while, we hear from someone who has learned from someone we taught, and then we know that the hobby of model railroading is working as it should - sharing information and ideas, not hoarding them.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

hodecapod

;)

THANX GUYS,   I would imagine that the heavy mtn 4-8-2  is basicallly the same gig as this 2-10-0:

Q: to the original post?  did you remove the PCB or just plug and play into the 8 pin socket?

If you used the socket did you have any info on the 1-8 pin number connections, (i.e. what . where they connect to via the wiring)....I think I can trace them to the actual wires , via the PCB, but would like to be sure if I could....

thanx for any direction on this issue...first install doe DCC w/ sound

Jim Banner

pin     function                           standard colour

1    motor "right " connection          orange
2    rear light                               yellow
3    no connection                         n.a.
4    left wheels                             black
5    motor "left" connection             grey
6    front light                              white
7    lights common                         blue
8    right wheels                            red

The colours apply to the wires on the decoder, not necessarily the wiring in the locomotive.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Plug & play into the 8 pin. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

hodecapod

thanx ,  gonna do it this weekend...let ya know how it goes...
jim

hodecapod

did the install of the decoder all went well but strangley enough the front and rear (yelow and white wires were mixed up) front was yellow rear was white ...switch them around all works fine???

very difficult getting the decoder into the tender with the speaker sealed well, but got it...the thing is very loud with the speaker I put in....learned alot and am ready to do it again now

thanx much

jim