News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Simple Turnout Control

Started by SteveJ, September 11, 2007, 08:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveJ

I want to make a simple control panel to control a Peco turnout and slip using 3 Peco PL-10 twin solenniod switch m/c's and 3 spst toggle switches.
I plan to throw two motors at once. I have a capacitor-discharge power unit wired currently so two motors should not be an issue. I think that I can wire jumpers to the coils only as per the schematic but I am an optimist by nature.

I have attached (I hope) a jpeg sketch sketch of what i want to do and how i intend to do it.

Question is will it work safely or will it fry something?

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/bbrad20/Slide3.jpg

taz-of-boyds

It is a litte late tonight, but as long as you use momentary contact switches it does not look like anything should fry...  Will look again if no one else answers...

Have fun,
Charles

taz-of-boyds

I am looking again. Sorry for not getting back sooner, a million things happen all at once.  I should have better answer tomorrow.

Have fun,
Charles

taz-of-boyds

Steve,

I studied your diagram, nice drawing.  I followed the routing logic and the diagram looks as if it will accomplish what you want, a nice idea.  Presuming that the green coil represents the through route and red the diverging route of the turnouts.

The diagram seems electrically sound except for the labeling for the switches.  The switches drawn are SPDT switches (not SPST), and SPDT will function properly.  The switches should be momentary contact.

While I was checking into a couple things, I ran across an interesting web page showing turnout interlocking using a diode matrix, maybe interesting for others like me who don't already know this stuff.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips3/interlocking_tips.html

Sorry for taking so long to respond,
Charles

SteveJ

Charles,

Thank you for the pointer on the switches I did mean SPDT's and I purchased the momentary kind.

As I didn't get any negative comments to the first diagram I took it further and added accessory switches to the twin coil switches and developed the schematics to the final form.  The idea is to have a control panel that will change the turnouts with green light indication.  Additionally we can have signals on the layout that will indicate red and green turn out positions for the switch and mainlines.  It will be complete in a week so fingers crossed.

I am now fitting the stuff and making the panel.  I know it is simple but I believe it will be effective.  If you have any observations I would appreciate them as this is my first attempt at basic electronics.

taz-of-boyds

Steve,

I would do a temporary lash up before really bolting things down to give it a bit of a shakedown first.  If you just connect some wiring by wrapping the wire around terminals, be careful to avoid the wires moving around and causing shorts.  I will look at the other diagrams later.

Have fun,
Charles

SteveJ

I have completed the panel as planned and it worked out just great. I have attached a final asbuilt schematic and some wiring interconnects (I am not an electrical anything) I think they are clear enough how we did it.

My layout evolved from a starter kit 2 1/2 years ago and I moved with my son from DC to DCC  all with Bachmann products.  We added a further track to the original using different supplier turnouts and as we continued we needed some simple automation to reach all the turnouts.  We can still run the original system as is, or use the extension as a larger layout but this needs a little more power as we can get more trains on. The new Bachmann DCC system a year ago would have been a good fit.

The recent adition of two reversing sections with a single switch added complexity that needed extra help so we decided to make a simple panel with lights to help.  We decided that a simple 12vDC sytem instead of using DCC controls was the easiest and simpler way to operate also I got to build something.

This has turned out to be a good hobby for me and my son and a recommend it to any other parent that enjoys making things as well as appreciating trains and them being part of childhood memories.

Attachments on how we did it.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/bbrad20/Slide5.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/bbrad20/Slide4.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/bbrad20/DSC00215.jpg

Jim

Howdy Steve,

Congrats. Very impressive work every step of the way.

Regards,
Jim

SteveJ

Thanks Jim,

It was a fun project.  An earlier reply from Charles made me look further at signals on the layout and I believe I can add all 10 prototypical signal masts with some more resistors, LEDS, and a bunch of little wire.  In the July 2006 Model Railroader mag there was an article how to build your own and the cost should be around $5-6 each.  I am not wiring the same way as the article but it will be as simple.  If anyone is interested and if it works I will send an update in a few weeks.

taz-of-boyds

Steve,

You do nice work, will look for the update.

Charles