Larger Steam Loco than Old American 4-4-0 wanted

Started by Sunshine Express, September 13, 2007, 03:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I would like to know if there is a second generation 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive that I could buy in the Bachmann range.
I have a Jupiter,and some small Overton MDC Cars,but have recentlly bought a set of 3 Bachmann Old Timers 47ft. I had a Model Power 4-6-0 but could not keep it on my tight curve tracks. It ran well at my train club on broad curves, The problem was the front 4wheel truck kept lifting off. No help or advise could fix it. Sold it and runs OK on buyers k]larger layout.
I downsized some time ago to 8x4,using some Peco Curved points. An old club member told me that loco would never negotiate Peco Curved Points,he had the same experience.
A 4-6-0 would be nice,but what is available that would tolerate the above curves?.
Owen C Robinson

SteamGene

What is the minimum radius for your curves? 
Have you considered the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

Certainly consider the Spectrum 4-4-0--it will go around 18" curves (if that is what you have).  The Spectrum 4-6-0 would also fill your need as well.  Note this, though--if your curves are less than 18", you will find very few steam locos other than switchers that will negotiate such tight curves.

Sunshine Express

Thanks for info,my curves are generally 18",on this double track,small town layout.
Where can I see a photo of a Spectrum 4-4-0,or does anyone know what Model Railroader it may have been featured in. ?. Sounds a go addition to my fleet of Old Timers.
Owen C Robinson

SteamGene

There should be a picture of the 4-4-0 on this site in the products section.  Go to HO and locomotives.   It may have been reviewed in the current MR issue.  I seem to remember seeing a review of it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yukonsam

Hi

MR has a review of the 4-4-0 in the July issue, page 82.

It`s a beautiful engine, not a great puller on my hilly layout, but I´m thinking about getting a few more. Tony´s have them with sound.

Regards, Yukonsam

Sunshine Express

Thanks to all members for their input.I can look up the M.R.at our A.M.R.A club and grt it  photo copied.
Owen C Robinson

jayo

Those bigger 4-4-0's are nice, but I think they're too expensive! :o  Bachmann, could you maybe make more affordable versions of those engines?  Maybe ones without the DCC decoder and sounds, etc.?  I just need one that is affordable, good-looking, smooth running, and an operating headlight would be nice!