News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

plug wires

Started by Irbricksceo, January 22, 2014, 09:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Well, I had the wires fall out of my 2-8-0 plug.... Always hated that thing. Anyway, is there a way to fix it? I really dont feel like spending 50+ bucks on getting bachmann to do it.

Edit: I should mention that I have plenty of experience soldering.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

Hate to tell you but the wires were pulled out.

Go look in the Parts page.

Rich

Irbricksceo

I had a feeling that is what would be needed. Well, I ordered the part. Since i have to rewire the motor/light anyway, maybe I should consider putting in an LED while i'm at it...
Modeling NYC in N

electrical whiz kid

Maybe you should.  if you have experience in soldering, [then] that should be a breeze for you.
Rich C.

rogertra

A bit of late advice.

Next time you disconnect the tender of any Bachmann steam loco, use a pair of tweezers, thin pointed ones, to grasp and disconnect the plugs.   DO NOT pull on the wires, pull only on the plugs.  As Rich stated, the wires were pulled out.  Probably by you pulling on them to disconnect the engine from the tender.  :(

Cheers.

Roger.

Doneldon

Irbrick-

As just about anyone on here can tell you, the loco-to-tender plugs are very fragile. It is almost impossible not to pull
the wires out. Yes, it would be nice if the darn things were more robust, but they aren't. So use tweezers or be
extremely careful to pull ONLY on the plugs if you use your fingers.
                                                                                                          -- D

Irbricksceo

Yeah, thats exactly right, I rarely disconnect them but was doing it this time because a detail part fell off the bottom of the tender (no idea how) I cant even figure out how to reattach but since it is hard to see, I decided to leave it be.

The LED thing is something I will probably do if i can get myself to radioshack. As i recall, once i determine which wire is positive I need a 1kohm resistor. and yes, I have a fair amount of soldering behind me so that shouldn't be an issue although slow and steady is the way to go where that is concerned.

The one thing I need to figure out is which wire is positive on the motor. while the new part has multi-colored wires according to the pic (which could be wrong) the loco has all black. I imagine there will be a fair amount of testing while I  do this.

Modeling NYC in N

ALCO1000

Quote from: Irbricksceo on January 25, 2014, 07:56:17 PM
Yeah, thats exactly right, I rarely disconnect them but was doing it this time because a detail part fell off the bottom of the tender (no idea how) I cant even figure out how to reattach but since it is hard to see, I decided to leave it be.

The LED thing is something I will probably do if i can get myself to radioshack. As i recall, once i determine which wire is positive I need a 1kohm resistor. and yes, I have a fair amount of soldering behind me so that shouldn't be an issue although slow and steady is the way to go where that is concerned.

The one thing I need to figure out is which wire is positive on the motor. while the new part has multi-colored wires according to the pic (which could be wrong) the loco has all black. I imagine there will be a fair amount of testing while I  do this.

I invested in a pair of glasses that magnify ,kind of like a jewelers hat with a light ,best investment I ever made in the hobby makes things a whole lot easier and that turn into fun  and not so much grief
Hope this helps!
Jack