News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need to replace EMD GP40 Santa Fe Diesel

Started by MDillahunty, October 22, 2013, 10:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDillahunty

I have a 20+ year old train set that has a EMD GP40 Santa Fe Diesel engine. The engine motor has gone bad (gears broken) so I decided to just replace the whole engine. Can someone recommend a similar engine that should buy. I would like to stick with one that has a Santa Fe shell on it.

the Bach-man

Dear MD,
Try one of our Sound Value diesels- there are several in Santa Fe livery.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

dill-

That's good advice from the B'mann. Be aware that the Sound-value locos have sound
and DCC but there are sounds available even if you run DC.
                                                                                               -- D

jward

the Bachmann gp40 is still available, in a much improved version. they even have it in santa fe.

with a newer locomotive of any type you will run into a compatability issue with couplers. you train set probably has the old horn hook couplers. with the curves bar across the top of the coupler. to-day's trains have knuckle type couplers which resemble those on real trains. they resemble a partially closed hand.  to use the two types together, you will have to change the coupler types on one end of either a car or your engine. the engine would probably be easier.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Dill-

Jeff raised an excellent point about the couplers. However, I disagree with him in regards to retrofitting your locomotive's modern knuckle couplers to horn hook (aka X2f and NMRA) couplers. Those have some frustrating operational problems which knuckles do not. I suggest converting everything to knuckle couplers. Kadees are the gold standard but most knuckles are pretty much compatible with one another. If converting all of them sounds like too big of a job or is too expensive right now, convert one coupler on one of your freight cars to a knuckle which can couple with the new loco while keeping the X2f on the other end for your rolling stock. That way, you won't have to go back to convert your loco back to knuckles in the future if you decide to go with all knuckles.
                                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

jbrock27

How about this for a suggestion/compromise: leave one horn hook (X2f) coupler on one end of the loco and change out the coupler at the other end to a knuckle type.  This way rolling stock with either type coupler, can be pulled by the loco.
If you change out the one coupler to a knuckle, you should use a Kadee Height gauge to make sure it is set for the correct  height. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

wiley209

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 23, 2013, 10:42:52 PM
How about this for a suggestion/compromise: leave one horn hook (X2f) coupler on one end of the loco and change out the coupler at the other end to a knuckle type.  This way rolling stock with either type coupler, can be pulled by the loco.
If you change out the one coupler to a knuckle, you should use a Kadee Height gauge to make sure it is set for the correct  height. 

Yes, I would also recommend doing that. I do NOT advise switching from knuckle to horn-hook couplers. Either go with the conversion car option, or if you can, replace the rolling stock's horn-hooks with new knuckle couplers as well.

By the way, what is the track like? If it's brass, I don't recommend using it. Brass was good for its time, but oxides easier and requires more frequent maintenance. If you do have brass, I'd recommend replacing that with E-Z track (preferably nickel-silver.) I recommend anyone with an older train set (regardless if it's Bachmann, Tyco, AHM or whatever) that came with brass track, do not use the original track and instead get some nice new nickel silver track. Even older locomotives would perform better on it!

peter c

trying to replace same loco,,,   what is sound valve loco?   why is it a good replacement?    new to hobby, sorry for dumb questions.

richg

Quote from: peter c on January 30, 2014, 08:15:13 PM
trying to replace same loco,,,   what is sound valve loco?   why is it a good replacement?    new to hobby, sorry for dumb questions.

Two options.
Send it back tp Bachmann for a replacement which will be a better version.
Check the Online Catalogue at the top of this page for Sound Value locos.
There are much better prices at online stores. Do some research before jumping.

Rich

Irbricksceo

Dont worry about it.

DC locomotives are ones that, as the name suggests, run on plain DC
DCC have a decoder
and DCC sound have a decoder with sound capability

Sound Value is the term for bachmann locomotives with what I belive is their "in house" Sound decoder, decent ones but not the premium Tsunami's found in the high end spectrums.

I believe that is the case.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service_2010.php

Twenty five dollars plus cost of shipping the loco back.
I did that once for a HO 44 ton.

Rich

ALCO1000

Quote from: peter c on January 30, 2014, 08:15:13 PM

A way to obtain knowledge is to question and should be never thought as a dumb question,Everybody is a beginner at something some time or another and should always remember that, and help, makes good  for all to progress into this great hobby and more fun certainly!
Jack