News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Placement of Insulated Rail Joints

Started by RailroadRick, November 06, 2013, 08:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailroadRick

I'm about to start assembling an N-scale switching layout using E-Z Track.
I was in the hobby long ago in HO, using Shinohara turnouts (solid frog) then.

My question is, using the E-Z Track as it is, including the "Remote Turnouts", do I need to place insulated joiners (gaps) at fouling points and between connections at crossovers, at all the conventional locations where I was used to doing that with solid frog in HO (and provide feeders at the point side of turnouts), or does the Bachman track function more like the Atlas snaptrack and not need gaps/additional feeders?

Thanks much!         

Railroad Rick in Oregon

brokemoto

You do not need to gap the track, in most cases, even if you choose the power routing/live frog option for wiring.  You will, of course, need to gap appropriately for a reverse loop or wye.  The rule about wiring ahead of a turnout, for best results, still applies.

Unlike the Kato UNITRAK, it is difficult to remove the joiners from the track pieces on the Bachpersonn.  Thus, it is difficult to gap if you  use only the E-Z TRAK.  I used some PECO turnouts with the E-Z TRAK, which do require gapping.  I had the best results gapping by inserting two pieces of Atlas SNAP-TRAK or small pieces of flex with the plastic rail joiners between the two pieces. 

Bachmann would do well either to revamp the joining system on its E-Z TRAK or sell pieces with plastic/insulated joiners.  I would shy, myself, from filing gaps in the middle of a section, but that is an  option.