News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

faulty switches

Started by Mr. C, November 02, 2013, 02:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I have a #44561RH &#44562LH DC switches that only work in one direction. I have changed the control but no difference. Are the motors bad or what.

Jerrys HO

Mr. C

A lot more info would be more helpful.
Check your wiring. Make sure the green wires are in the correct place. If it's throwing one way it should throw the opposite way.

Jerry

Mr. C

I've checked and replaced everything.I've also taken one motor apart and checked it. I can get it to work a couple of times and then it stops.

Jerrys HO

Make sure you have a good voltage supply. If you throw the switch back and forth several times in a row they will stop working. It takes a few seconds to build up enough to throw them correctly. There has been mention of using a discharge capacitor setup to supply enough to throw the turnout. Do a search and you will find more info on this.
If you have adequate power going to them then I would assume it's a faulty turnout.
Are both acting that way?

Jerry

Mr. C

Yes,the both are,but are located in different locations on the layout.I have a 5amp power booster that I thought would alleviate the problem.

Doneldon

Mr. C-

Do you have a "power booster" or a "power pack?" It does make a difference. A power booster gives a DCC system more power but it doesn't power DC turnouts. The accessory terminals on a five-amp power pack should provide plenty of power to operate your switch machines. By the way, I'm not trying to be picky on the terminology; it's just that these terms do have explicit meanings and it's hard for us to help if there is any ambiguity.
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

electrical whiz kid

check your conductors for continuity.
Rich C.