News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hopper Cars?

Started by lvrr325, November 04, 2013, 03:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvrr325

Is the hopper out of production for some reason?  I don't even see it in the catalog, at least not online.  I got curious because I see someone on eBay looking for $160 for a two-pack of them, what the current list is, given I bought all mine for like $40.

It's looking like they're doing shorter runs and tightening up production on some of this stuff to keep the prices higher. 

ScottyB

I believe Nicholas Smith and Wholesale Trains still have them available, but likely not too many. Like everything else, I think they go a little while in between runs.

I've learned in On30 (although I think it applies to all scales now) that when you see it for a good price, buy it. Most things seem to be made in small batches now.

$160? Wow. At that price I'd go back to G scale - those hoppers are gorgeous... :)

Good luck!
Scott

Quote from: lvrr325 on November 04, 2013, 03:34:41 AM
Is the hopper out of production for some reason?  I don't even see it in the catalog, at least not online.  I got curious because I see someone on eBay looking for $160 for a two-pack of them, what the current list is, given I bought all mine for like $40.

It's looking like they're doing shorter runs and tightening up production on some of this stuff to keep the prices higher.  

On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Stevelewis

Its  fairly  typical  in the  Model railway business these  days to do  short  runs  and  when  they  are  gone  they  are  gone,

British outline 00 and  N is very  typical of  this  although  what  is fairly  common is  that  as an item  , has been on  sale  for  a  few  months and manufacturer  stock and retailer stocks need to be  sold off to  recoup some  capital, the  price  actually falls

There have been  locomotives  which  had  a  recommended price  of  around  UK£130, which were  sold at  launch at around UK£110 at  discount,  have  been offered at  around  UK£80!  This  has  happened  with quite a few items in the  last few  months.

But  once  these  clearance  items have been sold  they somtimes appear  at  High prices on eBay, BUT they dont  always  sell
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

lvrr325

The Favorite Spot needs to buy another container load of them.

Not particularly nice or decent guys (read their bad feedback) but you can't argue with $0.01 and no reserve. 

ScottyB

Quote from: lvrr325 on November 04, 2013, 04:48:37 PM

Not particularly nice or decent guys (read their bad feedback) but you can't argue with $0.01 and no reserve. 

I think about 75% of my On30 stuff is from them, and I've not had a single issue. Highly recommended.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

2foot6

I have bought a lot of models  from The Favourite Spot and have no problems(delivered to Australia)I checked the feedback section,when you consider the positive sales against the negative figures,they have a low ratio of issues and postage delays out of their control seems to be the main problem. :) :)

Biglars

Quote from: ScottyB on November 05, 2013, 05:31:43 PM
Quote from: lvrr325 on November 04, 2013, 04:48:37 PM

I think about 75% of my On30 stuff is from them, and I've not had a single issue. Highly recommended.

Scott

Ray at the favorite spot is a stand up guy, I have had many dealings with him and a few defective units purchased. They stand behind the products and replace any items delivered with defects or help you get parts if you want to fix your own. I buy several items a month from them.
Larry

lvrr325

My experience has been until you have a bad experience you'll think they're great too.  My first experience with them was to ask if they could run a particular piece as an auction.  They sent a generic email back that did not answer the question, and when I emailed back indicating that was nice, but you did not answer the question, can you list an item number xxxxx in auction format, not only did I get an obnoxious answer back, I found that account blocked from bidding.   

So, as long as you don't expect any real effort out of them, I'm sure they're great, but if you have a problem, frankly, they're jerks about it, and the feedback I looked at backs that up.  No customer service skills.  Why? They're big enough and sell enough they don't have to care if they get a few bad feedback comments.