Xmas train won't work and it is brand new

Started by kearley_1999, November 17, 2013, 10:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

kealey_1999

Bill stated that in his last post
"Forgot to mention:
Double check the switch behind the smoke box door, not the smoke switch but the other one"

It is also stated in the instruction manual he supplied on page 10.
Quote from page 10
"If your Big Haulers
® locomotive is equipped with a polarity switch, you will find either a two-position or three-position switch. The
two-position polarity switch allows you to operate according to either NMRA (US) or NEM (European) standards. The three-position
switch features an additional "center off" position that cuts track power to the locomotive, allowing it to remain on your layout while
other trains run"

Jerry

Morgun 30

The good thing is that it works in time for Christmas. Yea!!!! And now we all have a little for knowledge.

While the answer was apparently in the instructions all along, I think it would have been more helpful to have had that instruction in the operation and/or trouble-shooting section as well. Instructions always make prefect sense to the person that writes them. ;)

And for me, if instructions came in more than one language, I prefer separate sections for each, not all on the same page. But that's me.

Loco Bill Canelos

99.9 percent of the time a person has trouble with a new train locomotive it is something simple just overlooked. :o  There is no shame in this, it just happens in the excitement of the situation!  ;D Hope all is well with both parties trains!

If you have a "Harbor Freight" store near you you can get a digital multimeter for about $7. I usually find a coupon in the newspapers or many magazines that give 25% off a single item.  Better yet the ad usually carries a coupon good for a free item  with any purchase.  Most of the time the free item is a flashlight, screwdrivers, or scissors, but sometimes for a free multimeter!! 8).  Over the years I have accumulated six of them and usually give some away at train meets.   

The multimeter is the best way to check out problems with model trains!

Happy Holidays to all, big Kids and little Kids ;D ::)

Have fun with your trains!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!