News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

16 wheel tender

Started by NBDAVE, November 13, 2013, 05:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NBDAVE

I'll try the least harshest material first (water and work my way to the acetone). I've had great luck with acetone on pre-painted die-cast aircraft but I haven't tried plastic before. With the die-cast is is a matter of using just a slightly moist Q-Tip, place some acetone on the decal for about 5 seconds and gently rub the decals with a clean dry Q-tip. As soon as the decal wipes off take a really wet piece of paper towel or clean rag and saturate the acetone area to stop it from working any further. Gently wipe the area dry with a clean cloth or paper towel. It only takes 10 seconds or so to remove the decals, wet the area and dry it. I'll let you know how I make out. This tender is quite old so perhaps it won't take much to remove the logo. The old logos, I assume aren't as hard to remove as the new decal material of today.

Doneldon

Quote from: NBDAVE on November 22, 2013, 04:03:08 PM
I've had great luck with acetone on pre-painted die-cast aircraft but I haven't tried plastic before.

NBD-

Acetone melts most plastics. At best, you end up with a seriously flawed surface which is just about impossible to repair. Are you certain you have decals? Lots of older models had painted lettering and graphics.
                                                                                                                                                 -- D

NBDAVE

I think you are right, it seems to be paint.

GN.2-6-8-0

Much safer to use wash away a product by scale coat or microsofts micro sol. These used sparingly should be safe and not harm the plastic and hopefully the paint underneath.
Rocky Lives