Height Above Railhead of New GP30?

Started by Seaboard Air Line Fan, November 17, 2013, 07:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Need it to verify clearance for bridge.

phillyreading

Most Williams engines in the GP-30 to GP-40 series need about 5 inches to clear any tunnel. Depending on what type of rolling stock, passenger(vista dome) or freight, that you run will also determine your height clearances.

Lee F.

Hi Seaboard,

I have the 2013 catalogue. Page 15 describes the size of the GP 30 as:

Length 14"
       Height    4"

I just measured my WbyB New York Central GP30...Here are the actual measurements:

Length  14 1/2"coupler to coupler outside of knuckle
       Height     3 7/8"   Rail top to highest point on Loco ( Fans & Exhaust )

P.S.  I am considering a shutoff switch for the  Prime Mover sound.

The Loco's sound does not Rev-up at voltage settings < 10 volts. The Loco travels plenty fast at 9 volts with only an 'Idle RPM sound'. I am considering a "Series Wiring" of the two motors. This will increase the track voltage setting, which should activate the Prime Mover into a Rev-Up mode.
            I will post my 'Test' results on this modification when completed.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Hi Seaboard,

671 here. I just completed 'Series' wiring of my new WbyB GP 30.

Here are my observations & Results...

1.    This can/will void your warranty.

2.    On the positive side of this alteration, smoother operation, sensitivity to throttle movement is dampened. Prime Mover Rev up and Rev down is more protypical in relationship to speed and throttle setting. Lighting in passenger cars and caboose is brighter. I am running at a 10 volt to 11 volt power setting. This gives me a very constant scale speed. I dislike the 'Race track' speed.

3.    I found this alteration to be  positive. I will keep my GP 30 in a series wired mode, even with the threat of voiding it's warranty due to my actions. 

NYC GP 30.....671

stationmaster12

I'm interested in the series wiring for WBB locos. Is the a diagram out there or even better a video on the procedure? Thanks!!!
Keep God first in all that you do.

Joe Satnik

Here is a written procedure:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23865.0.html

The Series wiring mod is for dual motored locos only.

Williams or WBB locos with only one motor (steam locos, e.g.) would need diode or diode bridge mods to slow them down. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.