News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track layout parameters

Started by Joepacif, November 19, 2013, 05:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joepacif

I am interested in purchasing a set (Chattanooga HO) for my grandson and the package has numerous layouts on the back of the box. However the package indicates a 47 x 38 layout. Do I have the flexibility to make the track into a 25 inch wide track? If so, can I use the materials provided or will I need to purchase different tracks to accommodate the sharper turns at each end?

the Bach-man

Dear Joe,
You can replace the curves with 15" radius, but the resultant 30" width is as tight as you can go.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ACY

Although you cannot make an oval that is 25 inches wide you can make a nice shunting layout within the parameters you gave. All you need is a few #6 turnouts, a few bumpers and some straight track. I believe a person on this board by the name of CNERunner had a very nice switching/shunting layout, if you want more information and some tips, I am sure he would be more than happy to give you some suggestions. Good luck

Doneldon

Joe-

Please allow me to caution you about 15" radius curves. They are way to tight for most locomotives and much rolling stock. Plus, you'll need a minimum of 32" width because the 15" is the centerline radius, not the outside measurement. Even equipment which can negotiate such tight curves looks ridiculous on them and even 18" curves are problematic for some equipment.

It can seem good to make a narrow layout which can be easily stored or slid under a bed. However, if you can only go to 32" wide, you are far better building a switching layout which allows you to move cars around to make up or break down trains, spot cars at industries and so on. This precludes a layout with continuous running which is probably a deal breaker for your grandson. Children like to see trains go round and round; they find switching cars boring.

If you really want a layout which includes continuous running, consider a Thomas set. Thomas locos and cars are pretty short so they can more easily handle the very tight 15" curves. It will be difficult to adapt such a layout into a larger one later, but it might be best for now unless your grandson is out of the Thomas age range (pre-schoolers or primary grades).

If your grandson is quite little, say two to five years old, you might do better with a non-electric Thomas set. The wooden trains NOT made by the wooden train company can be very economical, easily set up without a permanent layout, and loads of fun for little kids. They are also much more durable in a young child's hands than is HO. In fact, I think they may be better than electric trains. Smaller children often have trouble getting HO trains on the tracks and they like to interact with their trains. This means pushing them along, running them off of the rails onto the floor, and having conversations with them. HO permits none of that. In addition, the children can watch Thomas videos or read Thomas stories and then re-enact them with their "model trains."

Let me suggest that you evaluate your grandson's interest in trains, his dexterity, the space you have and how you hope to play trains with him and then buy accordingly.
                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on November 20, 2013, 01:15:56 PM
Joe-

Please allow me to caution you about 15" radius curves. They are way to tight for most locomotives and much rolling stock. Plus, you'll need a minimum of 32" width because the 15" is the centerline radius, not the outside measurement. Even equipment which can negotiate such tight curves looks ridiculous on them and even 18" curves are problematic for some equipment.

It can seem good to make a narrow layout which can be easily stored or slid under a bed. However, if you can only go to 32" wide, you are far better building a switching layout which allows you to move cars around to make up or break down trains, spot cars at industries and so on. This precludes a layout with continuous running which is probably a deal breaker for your grandson. Children like to see trains go round and round; they find switching cars boring.

If you really want a layout which includes continuous running, consider a Thomas set. Thomas locos and cars are pretty short so they can more easily handle the very tight 15" curves. It will be difficult to adapt such a layout into a larger one later, but it might be best for now unless your grandson is out of the Thomas age range (pre-schoolers or primary grades).

If your grandson is quite little, say two to five years old, you might do better with a non-electric Thomas set. The wooden trains NOT made by the wooden train company can be very economical, easily set up without a permanent layout, and loads of fun for little kids. They are also much more durable in a young child's hands than is HO. In fact, I think they may be better than electric trains. Smaller children often have trouble getting HO trains on the tracks and they like to interact with their trains. This means pushing them along, running them off of the rails onto the floor, and having conversations with them. HO permits none of that. In addition, the children can watch Thomas videos or read Thomas stories and then re-enact them with their "model trains."

Let me suggest that you evaluate your grandson's interest in trains, his dexterity, the space you have and how you hope to play trains with him and then buy accordingly.
                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

What Doneldon said, in spades.

Irbricksceo

It is true that the wooden trains are great for kids (I still have all mine, stored for when I have kids of my own someday) Even if you do decide to go the HO route, assuming your child is young, the Thomas sets may still be a good choice. A good selling point for them is that they are VERY durable. While many HO locomotives can break easy, especially in young hands, the HO thomas equipment can handle a lot, I had one that took a dive four feet onto hardwood flooring and took NO damage. Doneldon has great advie there. Here's Hoping that you can get another young one into the hobby!
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

I agree that Doc has given great advice here!
Keep Calm and Carry On