News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 18

Started by seanrail, November 20, 2013, 06:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasj219

Duck and the Slip Coaches is my favorite of the season so far. And Brenner didn't even write it. Thomas is back!
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

PasqualeCS96

Honestly, I can't find anything bad about Duck and the slip coaches. I hope the slip coaches will occur in future episodes with Duck seeing how the classic series didn't even have Duck's coaches from the Railway Series. The best part had to be seeing Duck back at Tidmouth recreating not only the classic scene at the sheds, but taking a jab at Emily as well, twice!  :D

TBModels

I don't watch much of the CGI series, but I have been looking for the newest few from season 18 to see what all the hype was about.

Duck and the Slip Coaches I think by far is the best one of the season so far, but I'm not going to say it was perfect. The thing I liked the best was that Thomas did not have a main role in this episode... (finally!) Thomas did not resolve the conflict; rather Duck.

The part I did not like was that James was (like always) is the one creating the problem. I would like to see an episode where James does not have any rude lines... or wrongdoings.

This episode was very interesting though. I had never heard of slip coaches, and I liked the fact that an episode was about something never in an episode before. Also, Male coaches  :)

7.5/10

Metal

(Blows dust off the thread.)

James is an antihero, he's portrayed like a brash teenager. I guess many people have gotten used to that one-dimensional paint snob he was reduced to S8-16. He's a flawed, but 3-dimensional character. Same with Oliver how believes he's some so-called hero.
One character I was really happy to return this season was Duncan. He makes the NG railway more fun. Plus you kinda get a feel of his personality better this season.

As with the new characters well, Marion is my favorite this season, in fact she may already be one of my favorite characters. :D

Samson however, well I know the character's portrayal leaves fans mixed, but personally I enjoy how he's utalized as a character. I'm glad there's a rude/arrogant type character out of the new characters introduced S17-18 era. :D

I really do like how most of the characters that have been portrayed this season are more cocky now.  ;)

Blackfive1994

Quote from: TBModels on September 04, 2014, 03:34:02 PM
I don't watch much of the CGI series, but I have been looking for the newest few from season 18 to see what all the hype was about.

Duck and the Slip Coaches I think by far is the best one of the season so far, but I'm not going to say it was perfect. The thing I liked the best was that Thomas did not have a main role in this episode... (finally!) Thomas did not resolve the conflict; rather Duck.

The part I did not like was that James was (like always) is the one creating the problem. I would like to see an episode where James does not have any rude lines... or wrongdoings.

This episode was very interesting though. I had never heard of slip coaches, and I liked the fact that an episode was about something never in an episode before. Also, Male coaches  :)

7.5/10
although the shed gag with Emily was funny first time round, it should have been James the second time.

MeganekkoFury1126

I guess I'll fill in the gaps that was left off, since there still is a lot people would probably like to talk about.

Old Reliable Edward: 9.5/10
Not so Slow Coaches: 8/10
Flatbeds of Fear: 6.5/10
Disappearing Diesels: 9.5/10
Signals Crossed: 5/10
Toad's Adventure: 8.5/10
Thomas the Quarry Engine: 9.5/10

Duck in the Water:
I know a lot of people complain that this episode only gets praise because Duck and Oliver are in it, but there is still plenty to enjoy. This is one Andrew Brenner's simplistic slice-of-life episodes with great appeal. While it's certainly not the most exciting, it still teaches great morals. I think the best aspect is that James shows maturity in owning up to his mistake. The one big thing that did irritate me was how quickly that Rocky started dangerously swinging, and would've probably been a nasty blow to one of the workmen. It probably would've worked better if Rocky seemed alright and then slowly started swinging more and more dangerously. Otherwise, I'd give this one 7.5/10.

Duck and the Slip Coaches:
This is the episode that seems to get the most praise of the whole season, and the most controversy. Arguably, it does deserve all the praise. The slip coaches are not only intriguing as a concept, but fascinating to see in action, and as many seem to say the fact that real railway aspects are being incorporated more into the show could really help get children more interested in trains - that's always welcomed! Not only that, but it really shows what a great closeness Duck had with the coaches, so they're not just new chracters with no backstory to relate to or be interesting. I'm glad that Duck was the one to fix the problem, rather than say Thomas, and any one who has ever had an idea that is rightfully there's can easily feel sorry for him. If there's thing that was a bit of a misstep, it would be the most controversial scene - the nod by the writers of Emily replacing Duck in the sheds, with it being swapped. Honestly, I find it very smart on the Mark and Nick's part, and it gave me an honest chuckle. Though I do kind of agree that the second shot at the end should've been done with James if mean spirited comedy is meant to be done right. This episode does deserve 10/10 for how much detail and effort was done to railway accuracy while still telling a good lesson.
The only thing that still doesn't sit well with me is how this episode in particular seems to have drawn so much hate on Duck, which most Thomas fans probably are aware of by now.

Thomas and the Emergency Cable:
Another slice of life episode combined with another railway accurate aspect. Slice of life episodes really seem to work when focusing on Thomas' branch line, and this one in particular feels like a season 1 episode. Andrew and the writers seem to really get the chemistry between Thomas, Annie and Clarabel. This seemed to be the first episode this season with some real human interaction - something a lot of fans wanted. The aspects of both emergency pull cables and flat spots on wheels were both things that have never been seen before. Not only that, but the episode nicely delivers  the moral that two wrongs don't make a right. It does seem odd, however, Thomas could only do his jobs with only Clarabel, and that Annie AND Clarabel have emergency brakes. I'm sure many others say the same thing. 8/10

Duncan and the Grumpy Passenger:
Ah yes, the great return of Duncan, and it did live up to its hype! The beautiful shot to show the castle causeway returning, not to mention the return of Crovan's Gate station after a 14 season absence. I won't get into how utterly relatable the moral is to the fans, since it's pretty obvious. Duncan is portrayed as his old grouchy self, yet the episode does well in making him a character that you want to succeed, which is very welcomed since almost every other time Duncan has been in the focus he's been the antagonist. Not to mention that the run of the episode is consistently entertaining and fun. Tom Stourton does a great job as Duncan, and feels reminiscent to the days when George Carlin narrated. Probably the only thing that feels contrived is the limited amount of coaches on hand, but it's not a big of a deal breaker. 9/10

Marion and the Pipe:
Marion has grown not only as a likable CGI character, but a great female role model all in all in the show. She's chatty, full of energy, works hard, and doesn't mind getting dirty. Sure, she's flawed, but then again all good characters are to a degree. This episode envelopes all of those aspects well. t's clear Olivia Colman (Hot Fuzz, Secret World of Arrietty) is having a lot of fun putting effort into this role. Bill and Ben of course offered some hilarious expressions and dialogue. The moral on covering up lies was delivered decently, and that how it often leads to even greater trouble if it's not told sooner than later. The episode, however, does seem to drag out in a few parts, and of course Thomas is there when I feel Edward would've been a better choice. The Clay Pits are on Edward's branch line, after all. 7/10

Missing Gator:
I was quite impressed that Andrew chose to build on a story from one episode to another. This definitely felt like the earliest seasons, from the "Tenders & Turntables" and "Duck Vs. Diesel" arcs. This was quite a sweet, and relatively charming episode, not to mention the flashbacks were used quite nicely. I was happy to see Ulfstead Castle and Millie after awhile. The episode itself however felt that it could've worked without excess use in the narration, and a few more different ideas compared to TotB (as some say it's like an 8 minute version of the full length special). Although, that rhyme was quite amusing, the trucks actually learned a lesson for once, and I find the runaway trucks moment as a slight reference to S5's Put Upon Percy. Not to mention, as far as I'm concerned it's the final chapter in Percy being brave, this time proving it by himself. 8/10

No Steam Without Coal:
Bill and Ben being in the spotlight almost always guarantees an entertaining episode. I laughed out loud at Ben's funny face, and their banter. They're still the obnoxious immature teenager-like munchkins we love. I like the family dynamic being used between the 4 Clay Pit engines, such as Marion as the mother of three kids in the Clay Pits (must get stressful after awhile...). After seeing Timothy rather limited in TotB, I did like how he was portrayed here: a little insecure, disciplined, and rather straight laced. His "Don't look at me!" quote pretty much said it all. Plus, another jab at the Logging Locos is always welcome. The moral that being the odd-engine-out can prove really useful has been done before quite a bit before, and to be honest it wasn't done too differently from past attempts, but it just seemed to work anyways in this environment. The only other problem is how very (more so than normal) how unused the crews were for the episode run, but it still doesn't take away how utterly funny and entertaining the episode was on a whole. 9/10

Spencer's VIP:
Andrew Brenner was really good incorporating so many characters for this episode, and it really feels like the old seasons how many different characters were used to add variety. I know many complain how Duck and Oliver were shoehorned into this episode, but no one complained when they were used in certain episodes in seasons 3-6. Besides, you can't deny that scene with them was really funny. And I don't mean funny "weird" when we see how utterly out of scale Oliver is... Spencer getting on the wrong tracks is a heavy reminder of Wrong Road, right down to switching tracks with Edward (who I'm glad was in character for the whole episode not trying to show off like everyone else) to leading him to Bill and Ben. Most importantly, is the fact that Spencer in this episode finally learned from his mistakes, because he should have (unlike almost every other time he's appeared in an episode) - this is how you develop characters. Not to mention that we get two morals delivered excellently in one episode - showing off almost always leads to mistakes, as well as everyone deserves to get a second chance to redeem themselves. I'm just a little off put by Thomas' mistake scene, saying his mistakes were the silliest of them all, as it doesn't really help Thomas step out of his "image" he earned during seasons 9-16. Still, it's a great episode and another one of my favorites. 9/10

Toad's Bright Idea:
This was a first - a midquel episode, and it worked out very well! I really liked the teaching of white and red lens lamps on locomotives and brake vans on real railways, as well as the interaction between Toad and Gator - I hope we see more interaction of old returning favorite characters interacting with fresh new ones. Toad and Gator play off each other nicely. Oliver didn't do all that much, again, but it didn't feel like he was just shoehorned. It's nice to see Toad get frustrated for once, and the moral of how important both headlights and Toad as the "conductor" of the train was nicely written. It also delivers the moral that you should listen to those with more experience than you nicely. With the majority of the watchers, I'm a tad confused of the inconsistencies with this and TotB, especially after Gator inadvertently scares James. It is notably confusing.
8/10

Blackfive1994

Quote from: MeganekkoFury1126 on April 01, 2015, 01:32:58 PM

Duck and the Slip Coaches:
This is the episode that seems to get the most praise of the whole season, and the most controversy. Arguably, it does deserve all the praise. The slip coaches are not only intriguing as a concept, but fascinating to see in action, and as many seem to say the fact that real railway aspects are being incorporated more into the show could really help get children more interested in trains - that's always welcomed! Not only that, but it really shows what a great closeness Duck had with the coaches, so they're not just new chracters with no backstory to relate to or be interesting. I'm glad that Duck was the one to fix the problem, rather than say Thomas, and any one who has ever had an idea that is rightfully there's can easily feel sorry for him. If there's thing that was a bit of a misstep, it would be the most controversial scene - the nod by the writers of Emily replacing Duck in the sheds, with it being swapped. Honestly, I find it very smart on the Mark and Nick's part, and it gave me an honest chuckle. Though I do kind of agree that the second shot at the end should've been done with James if mean spirited comedy is meant to be done right. This episode does deserve 10/10 for how much detail and effort was done to railway accuracy while still telling a good lesson.
The only thing that still doesn't sit well with me is how this episode in particular seems to have drawn so much hate on Duck, which most Thomas fans probably are aware of by now.

The problem with the shed gag was why I wrote my story 'Berth Brawl'.

MeganekkoFury1126

Marion and the Dinosaurs
This is a definite shout out to Thomas, Percy and the Dragon from season 3, and that was a great episode! While this episode certainly wasn't as potentially scary, I still feel it was a very good episode! I really like that Stephen and the Earl have appeared again after quite a rather long hiatus. Marion, Millie and Stephen's scared reactions were all quite funny, and I love the little funny quotes written in by Brenner. The ending one in particular with Stephen was especially clever. The plot itself may not be the strongest, but the Dino Park idea being introduced as well as Samson does provide a lot for the show to build on now, which is always a good thing. However, I'm again irked by Thomas being thrown in. Even more so than in Marion and the Pipe, they could've easily put in another engine in  his place. I'm perfectly happy giving this one 8/10.

Millie & the Volcano
I think the overall morals in this episode is the strongest points, well those and that we get a very amusing Millie episode. The cast choice was something really unique! We're getting an idea of what Samson is - kinda snooty, pompous, and big headed, and that contrasted well with Harvey's more subdued, kinder persona. The groundskeeper talked - that is a HUGE plus. Millie is developed very well, and the moral that it's not a very good idea to get even over petty problems is delivered nicely. What I didn't like was how easily Samson and Harvey bought the trick that the volcano was erupting, especially when Samson says there's hot lava coming down when there clearly isn't. However, the ending with Sir Topham, Dowager and the Earl was very funny! I really hope the writers put them together in another episode soon! 7.5/10

Samson Sent for Scrap
Okay, this is a really difficult one to talk about. Once again, we get Samson and Harvey together. Scruff, Bertie and Reg all got strong roles, MORE people talked, and the part with Sir Topham Hatt's car getting a flat and how he cares only about it so much was very funny, not to mention the ending with the mirror falling off. However, there are a lot of flaws to point out. Most importantly is how did Harvey stuff the car in the truck with all the other junk? That seems almost impossible... Also that most of the things that Samson confuses for scrap don't look old or junky enough to be considered scrap to the audience. It makes Samson look very dimwitted, too. That's another problem, he acts so unintelligent throughout the whole episode, and worst gets no consequences really. There is a difference between being arrogant and being completely blind to common sense. Even though I like that Scruff some time to shine, his moment to do so at the end feels very clichéd. I'm quite conflicted to give this episode 5/10 as I really like this episode's strengths, but I really dislike its weaknesses.

Timothy and the Rainbow Truck
In my opinion, this was the overall weakest episode of the new 6.  Iit does get kinda boring in the middle, which is particularly disappointing considering we needed a Timothy focused episode when Bill and Ben pretty much stole the show in No Steam Without Coal. Seriously, when did all the trucks on Sodor come in all those overtly bright colors? That feels EXTREMELY forced just for this episode. Not to mention all the other moments don't really help in the storytelling - they're just there as filler really. However, we do get Timothy's gullible side for a change, and he feels like the Pops (Regular Show) of the Thomas world. The problem it seems is, even though I like him, Timothy doesn't have much of a personality to call his own. His gullibility is something we've already seen in Paxton, and his pride of being different is already in Porter. If they could do something with his straight laced personality, then we do have something! I will say the ending is much, much deserved catharsis for Bill and Ben, and that Timothy is not above getting even with those who make a fool of him. I like that Salty played a nice role in it, as well as that it does teach children a bit about different colors. Nonetheless, the overall end product is my least favorite episode of season 18. 4.5/10

Emily Saves the World
Okay....this is arguably my favorite episode of the Dinos & Discoveries 6 pack. Kinda ironic since many people thought this would be a bad rehash of Rusty and the Boulder, but it didn't! First off, this really was the right episode for Emily, and showed off her personality very well. I did like that both Laura Beaumont and Paul Larson did good on all the past specials the engines took...maybe a bit too good...I mean we get referenced to good past episodes like Thomas Meets the Queen and Thomas the Jet Engine (which was also quite weird), but then we get referenced to the pretty bad Rheneas and the Dinosaur...but I digress. Fortunately, this wasn't as insanely over the top as Rusty and the Boulder, but yeah, it still was in its own way. The only major problem I had was that the whole story's original focus kinda got lost towards the middle. What the episode did do particularly good for a first time was making Captain actually did something useful, especially for the story. Why haven't they put him in the Docks before? There's also some excellent comedy sprinkled in here, from Sir Topham Hatt blatantly unaware of the globe and Emily going behind his back and the signalman ducking for his life in the switch tower. All in all, I fell happy saying this is a season 9-16 episode done correctly, even if it's not perfect. 8.5/10

Samson at Your Service
This episode shows that, just like Brenner, Davey Moore really knows how to write comedy and incorporate so many characters. There are so many funny moments: Gordon pulling Annie and Clarabel, Bill and Ben's teasing, and especially Sir Topham Hatt still driving Winston horribly on and off like that - that is comedy gold. That little bit with Thomas, Percy and Duck feels like a nice throwback of the 3 friends in Toad Stands By from season 4. I know it's small and yeah Duck's just there for that scene for a quick quip, but sometimes it's the little things that make a difference. Though there's that animation error on James' chassis that makes me a bit uncomfortable...I don't know... This episode does have quite a few flaws beside that however, primarily the same problem from Duncan and the Grumpy Passenger in that you'd figure the railway would have more than those 5 express coaches for Gordon to pull. The familiar 3 strike formula...which is a bit more obvious than we have seen in the Brenner era, but to be honest it's still less forced than in seasons 9-16. Sure, Samson is a pretty big, pompous jerk still (which I actually welcome since it's something different for a change), though here it's handled all in all better than Samson Sent for Scrap. The moral is nicely delivered, and very relatable all the way through. I think that's the reason why sometimes contrivance doesn't hurt an overall story as a whole. At least for me. 8/10 Oh yeah, and who could forget Stanley talking after so long?