Where do I attach KeepAlive wires to the decoder in a Bachmann 44 Tonner?

Started by keepthemgoin, November 22, 2013, 10:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepthemgoin

I cannot figure out where to attach the KeepAlive wires to the decoder in a Bachmann 44 tonner. It has a decoder wired to a light board. BTW, which decoder do I choose in DecoderPro?

richg

Quote from: keepthemgoin on November 22, 2013, 10:06:04 AM
I cannot figure out where to attach the KeepAlive wires to the decoder in a Bachmann 44 tonner. It has a decoder wired to a light board. BTW, which decoder do I choose in DecoderPro?

Describe the keep alive or post a photo of it.

Rich

keepthemgoin

It is the TCS KA1. It has two wires: black/white is one; the other is blue.

richg

Quote from: keepthemgoin on November 22, 2013, 10:13:55 AM
It is the TCS KA1. It has two wires: black/white is one; the other is blue.

To my knowledge, the item comes with instructions.

Rich

richg

This guy has info also. Be aware, you will probably affect the warranty of the loco. Hope you know how to solder in tight places. Use a fine tip soldering iron, not a solder gun.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/mainnorth/alive.htm

Rich

keepthemgoin

It does, indeed, come with instructions but on attaching it to TCS decoders; not those of other brands. The one I want to attach to is a Bachmann two-function.
I have read Marcus Ammann's instructions but am still having problems.
Glen

keepthemgoin

I should have said also that I followed his instructions including turning off the DC feature.

Glen

richg

Stay alive should usually be connected to the main filter capacitor next to the full wave bridge rectifiers. The blue wire is connected to the positive terminal of the capacitor.
The photo below is the DIY version of stay alive that came out a few years ago. This will give you an idea of a basic design of decoders.

Rich

richg

This is the decoder for the 44 ton. The decoder is in the shrink wrap. This will be difficult. The blue wire will be easy to find. That is the positive side of the filter cap. The minus side of the filter cap is buried in the shrink wrap I believe. I never done this with this type of setup.

Rich

richg

I have the 44 ton DCC ready that had a similar PC board and the users solder the shrink wrapped decoder wires to the PC board pins. The present PC board looks similar. No idea if the shrink wrapped item is a standard EZ Command decoder.

I know my 70 ton had a completely open decoder board, not like the 44 ton. I could easily pick out the main filter capacitor.

Rich

keepthemgoin

I think I found the answer BUT WITH A BIG CAVEAT: So far in testing, the motor does not continue turning when the engine is lifted from the track - only the lights remain lit.

First all, following Marcus' advice, remember that you are attaching the volt meter reversed, therefore the reading (if you found the negative) should be a plus on the meter reading or face.

Second, after finding the capacitor (in this case on the far end!), solder to the capacitor's contact situated towards the lengthwise centerline of the decoder (not to the contact nearest the edge of the decoder board).

Right now I am making sure that the ACC accelerator has all evaporated before I test further.

Will keep you apprized.

Glen

richg

Get a photo bucket account to post photos here. What you just posted will be much clearer to someone who would like to do this. A picture is usually worth a thousand words.
That is how I and others post photos here. Look at different messages here that include photos and try to imagine what the discussion would be like without photos.

http://s98.photobucket.com/

Rich

keepthemgoin

Right now, I cannot figure out how to get a decent close-up photo to post.

Glen

richg

Quote from: keepthemgoin on November 22, 2013, 03:30:46 PM
Right now, I cannot figure out how to get a decent close-up photo to post.

Glen

Does your camera have a close up feature?

Rich

richg

Some of the Yahoo DCC groups have had discussions of the stay alive issue with the TCS item. Marcus might be in this one. He is active in maybe three or four DCC Groups.
Usually, if the stay alive connection was right at the main filter capacitor, the motor would keep running for a bit.
I have used the capacitor, resistor, diode feature you see in the photo I posted. Marcus has also.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DCC4EVERYONE/search/messages?query=stay%20alive

Rich