Will Thomas, Annie & Clarabel REALLY handle 15" radius curves?

Started by hhartman, November 23, 2013, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhartman

Guys,

The Bachman website states that their HO Thomas The Tank Locomotive will negotiate 15" radius curves.  I know that broader curves are preferred but will it ACTUALLY handle 15" without problems?

The Annie and Clarabel coaches don't state a minimum radius so does anybody have any experience with these coaches on a 15" curve?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning a very compact layout for my grandson and, by necessity, it'll have some 15"R sections (Atlas Snap-Track.)  Unfortunately, enlarging the radius is not an option for this particular layout.

Thanks,

Harvey

Jerrys HO

Harvey I would assume they would if it's listed in the website. I don't own any Thomas pieces so I am not positive. If you go to General Discussion and on the first page and third post by Napa15, it looks to me like he has 15r and 18r on his Thomas layout. Check out his pics they are great. Also pay attention to the overhang of the passerger cars on the lower level.

Jerry

Sorry it's about the tenth post

hhartman

Jerry,

I couldn't find the post you're talking about.

Harvey

hhartman

Okay, found it.

Looks like your layout is well under way too!

Harvey

Jerrys HO

Those are old pics. Since then I took out the 18r and 22r and replaced with 26r and 28r with an occasional 35.50r.
Now I am thinking of taking the middle section, cutting it off and attaching it to the right side to do away with the first U shape design it had. Opens a lot of real estate and options if I do. I have two weeks to decide and vacation starts. That's train time.

Jerry

Doneldon

Harvey-

Most of the Thomas equipment has only two axles, including Annie and Clarabell. I don't believe any of the pieces would have trouble with 15" curves except possibly for the three-axle cars. Even they will likely work if they have reasonable lateral motion to the axles.
                                                                                                                                                                  -- D

hhartman

jward

Thomas uses a hook and loop type couple which doesn't swing. on curves, the hooks simply slide along the loops. there shouldn't be any problems on 15r going forward.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

hhartman

Doneldon

Harvey-

I've heard people criticize the Thomas trains because they are toylike and their couplers are an example of that. I don't know for absolutely certain but I'm pretty sure that toddlers and pre-schoolers aren't especially into prototypical operation. If the so-called toylike couplers make the Thomas trains a little less hassle and a little more fun for the kids, well, I'm all for that. And besides, the antique look of the Thomas trains make the hook 'n' loop couplers a better visual fit than knuckles.
                                                                                                                                                   -- D

Len

My grandson says the couplers on the HO Thomas equipment look a lot like the hook & link couplings in the book pictures and videos. For the time period and location, they're probably closer to prototypical than knuckles would be.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hhartman

I just know that my 4yo grandson is gaga over Thomas and Friends on PBS.  He hasn't indicated whether he approves or disapproves of their couplers.  ;D

Harvey

Jerrys HO

Harvey
As long as grandpa keeps them running, I don't think he would care if it had string pulling them around. ;D