News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4x8 track plans

Started by Jerrys HO, November 24, 2013, 09:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgun 30

I like the look of it. Like you said, I think it is a good 1st lay-out to see how much interest the kids will have. ( I'm guessing a lot) The thing that I'm concerned about is the radius turn-outs. Back to back like they are, it appears that they create S curves which could cause derailments. Having to constantly stop to put the train back on the track could cause a loss in interest in the hobby. But like I said, I do like the concept you have and think it's a good lay out

jward

any s curve issues can be easily solved by using #4 or #5 switches in place of the 18r ones shown in the plan.

as a general rule, I don't favour the use of 18r switches anyway. sure they are drop in replacements for standard track sections which makes it easy to design layouts using them. but in practice, they are more trouble than they are worth, especially when used in yards or as crossovers.

since you are using anyrail to design your layout, try using the #5 switches, with the 12 degree 33.25r curve and you will get parallel tracks. and in real life, your trains will operate much better on them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

show33

Yes, the S curve has been an issue. Not too bad but certainly annoying. #5 switches are next of the shopping list.

trainmainbrian

I org drew up designs for a 4x8 layout 2 years ago...... & figured I wanted to go BIG and build a layout that would see a lot of action with making up trains... switching in yard action... & switching in industries on sidings on the track.... Well to this day & 2 - 1/2 years later I have an L-Girder Bench work layout.... & is 16 feet long x 6 feet wide..... 52" inches high..... 2 track mainline... 3 track interchange... 9 track switching yard... I have 23 switches remotely controlled on my DCC controller... A NCE DCC system powers my layout.. all 7 of my loco's are DCC & sound equipped... I model all Diesel Era mid 70's to mid 90's  I was born in 75... I have pictures to post once I figure out how to get them posted on hear for everyone to take a look...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Posting photos on the Bachmann Board is a 3 step process:

1.) Upload your picture to a photo hosting website, such as photobucket. 

2.) Copy/paste the link to that photo onto the Bachmann Board reply area. 

3.) Surround the link with image tags, like this, but without the spaces:

[ i m g ]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/joebarb/036_zpsb47f7c5c.jpg[ / i m g ]

Taking away the spaces in the image tags produces this:

Willaims Electric Trains 3-Rail-O Chessie System GP-38 Loco

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Morgun 30

Show33, Played around with your lay-out with #4 and 5 turn outs. Added a little something extra          

Morgun 30

This one uses radius turnouts also. (don't know if that is ok or not. Maybe some more experienced RR'ers will comment) It is a little smaller and is not so close to the edge of the table

jward

morgun,
thanks for posting these. I haven't been able to use my anyrail since my laptop died, your layouts illustrate precisely my point about using 4s and 5s and eliminating s curves.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Morgun 30

This one may be closer to your original design

show33

Morgan 30 - thanks so much for taking the time to post those. That will really help when I upgrade to 4s and 5s.

...and getting to close to the edge of the board was an issue with my layout, this will, as you said, help that

Thanks again!

Morgun 30

My pleasure. This playing with anyrail can be addicting ;) 

Joe Satnik

Track Layout-ologists,

Numbered turnouts don't necessarily eliminate "S" curves. 

Numbered turnouts still have closure rails that have a curvature to them. 

If the straight between opposing curves

(closure rails, curved diverting routes, return to parallel siding curves, etc.)

is shorter than your longest loco or car, you will have an "S" curve situation. 

Granted, longer radius curves and closure rails will give less of an "S" curve effect,

but it will still be there.   

Have you noticed that the 18"R "Remote" turnouts in Morgun's latest 2 designs

are configured in a way that has eliminated their "S" curves?

Scroll back and check it out.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

Excellent work as always Professor!
Thank you.

Jeff what are you thinking for a new laptop?  Operating system, Windows 7 or 8?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I'm Scottish, no new laptop, just fix the one I have. power jack is messed up so i'll get that fixed, or buy a battery charger.

in the meantime, the only track planning  software I have is atlas rts10 on the wife's laptop. it is fine for my needs but can't do ez track layouts. atlas switches use a completely different geometry than ez track, and are much more compact.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I am as well!  This is why I had mine worked on remotely from India, instead of replacing.  This is where "practical" comes into play for sure.  Perhaps we are from the same clan?
Can you remove the jack from the laptop and replace?
Keep Calm and Carry On