News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4x8 track plans

Started by Jerrys HO, November 24, 2013, 09:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgun 30

Thinking that the grouping of three turn-outs in the upper right-hand corner might cause problems, I put the cross-over section in the bottom of the track. Points 1, 2, 3, and 4 do not fit perfectly, but the gap was close enough that it connected, and the next size piece was too large. Also, it appears to me that the size of area A would limit the amount of cars could be worked with in the yard. This would not necessarily be a bad thing as it would allow (require) more switching to move cars around. The changes to that area in the second track allow for more cars, but may not be as visually appealing.

jbrock27

Thank you for all of these Morg.  There is a fella I work with who has been trying to design a layout for he and his son to enjoy and he was having trouble with Anyrail.  I am going to refer him to these plans you have come up with.
Keep Calm and Carry On

shafferroy

can the great northern pacific be built with larger turnouts and curve track?

jward

anything can be built with larger curves and switches if you are willing to redesign it and have the space. in the case of the gnp, there are 22r switches available but not as ez track. using those, it is relatively easy to replace all curves and switches with the 22r ones, and doing so will increase the size of the layout to about 5x10.

using the numbered switches, like #4 or #6, will be a little harder as they take up a lot more room, especially the ez track versions. in addition, the numbered switches are usually not the same degree of curvature as sectional curved track. you will probably have to use flexible track with numbered switches. or trim some sectional track curves to fit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I got here from reading the referenced posts on the Bubblehead Track Plan post. I see there are some comments about using 15" radius curves. Here is a video of my On30 Christmas train from this year and the curves are all 15" radius. No problem at all with the curves for my 2-6-0, flat car, and Jackson Sharp passenger car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AahlQQXzZ_Y
Feel like a Mogul.

Deland

This is a great thread. Almost everyone has a space limitation, and 4X8 and 5X9 track plans may be the answer. At issue is the idea of a 4X8 plan. It's stuck in the mind of many people and fits with the space they have. My thought is that development of this size plan and encouragement is paramount to getting new blood into the hobby. There are as many desires as there are people in the hobby and the main one is usually more room or more money. By creating space and budget friendly designs, we can help people who might not get into the hobby to join and have fun. That means more in the Hobby, and more people wanting (X) so more reason for manufacturers to make it. Not to get political but it's like Patriotism, what is good for the country may not be good for you, but supporting it makes a stronger country. The same is true, What is good for the Hobby ( a small layout) may not be good for you but may be good for the Hobby as a whole."

BIG BEAR

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.