News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where is the Bell on the S4 Switcher

Started by Sunshine Express, November 25, 2013, 05:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I have had a Bachmann S4 Union Pacific Switcher # 1167 for some time,and it is a very good model both in looks and operation,but I just realised that it does not have a bell on the roof as do other similar U/P Switchers. Where is the bell located ?.  Owen
Owen C Robinson

richg

Here is a photo of one with no bell. Some switchers had in another location.

http://tinyurl.com/k4vr2wx

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on November 25, 2013, 06:43:32 PM
Here is a photo of one with no bell. Some switchers had in another location.

http://tinyurl.com/k4vr2wx

Rich

Rich.

I think you meant, "Here's one with no visible bell."

In this case, the bell is just visible, it's forward of the battery box.  You can see it if you look hard enough.  :-)

richg

Yes, I just downloaded the photo and expanded some. Was not sure with the photo at the website.
I forgot to indicate, no bell on top.
I remember seeing a few switchers years ago on a local railroad with the bell in that location. A city I worked in  had four yards for local distribution and shipping.

Rich

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Some diesels (and basically all modern diesels) have the bell mounted under the running boards near the fuel tank. I believe the Bachmann S4 is one of those engines.

rogertra

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on November 25, 2013, 09:24:38 PM
Some diesels (and basically all modern diesels) have the bell mounted under the running boards near the fuel tank. I believe the Bachmann S4 is one of those engines.

No, the S-4 bell is just in front of the battery box, as I explained below.  It's visible in the photo.

But in general, the bell is usually located under the frame on most U.S.A units.  In Canada it will (usually) be located some place less likely to get blocked by snow in the winter.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: rogertra on November 25, 2013, 10:34:09 PM

No, the S-4 bell is just in front of the battery box, as I explained below.  It's visible in the photo.

But in general, the bell is usually located under the frame on most U.S.A units.  In Canada it will (usually) be located some place less likely to get blocked by snow in the winter.

That is actually where I was talking about but if the box behind the bell is the battery box and not the fuel tank, then where is the fuel tank because on almost all diesels from back then, had the fuel tank where the battery box is in the middle of the frame.

richg

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on November 26, 2013, 11:26:47 AM
Quote from: rogertra on November 25, 2013, 10:34:09 PM

That is actually where I was talking about but if the box behind the bell is the battery box and not the fuel tank, then where is the fuel tank because on almost all diesels from back then, had the fuel tank where the battery box is in the middle of the frame.

The bell is in front of the battery box.. The fuel tank is just behind the battery box. More to the left of the battery box if you were to look down on the loco from the top.
Google should be you best friend. I just did a search for Alco S2 S4 and a drawing shows the tank next to the battery box.

In the previous photo link, you cannot see the tank.

Rich

rogertra

Rich.

Sorry but I beg to differ.  AFAIK, the two round tanks located between the two battery boxes under the frame were in fact air tanks.

The fuel tank for all "S" series Alco/MLW switches was located above the frame and under the locomotive's cab.  The fuel tank filler cap is the located on the rear cab wall on the engineer's side of the unit.  In effect, the cab floor is the top of the fuel tank.

Subject to correction by someone more knowledgeable than I.

richg

Ok then the drawing I saw as  was incorrectly labeled. It did look quite small for a fuel tank now that I think about it. Should have looked a little more.

But I saw it on the Internet, sound familiar?

Rich

Sunshine Express

Thank you all for the information,and the real life photo. I am afraid I am the "Ding Dong"for if I had have inspected the S4 Switcher underneath with my tri-focals on I would have see the HO Bell just in front of the battery box.
Congratulations to Mr Bachmann for this important piece of fine detailing on this  model.
Owen C Robinson