Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiliams True Blast horn

Started by crazycop, November 27, 2013, 09:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on December 26, 2013, 09:25:38 PM
Quote from: John Sweit on December 26, 2013, 07:04:31 PM
I have a new WIlliams 22109, 44 Ton Locomotive and I am operating on Lionel 027 track with a Lionel KW 190W dual side transformer. When I operate the horn lever, which works fine for the coal car whistle in my 1953 Lionel steam engine, all I get is a short burb from the Williams diesel.  Are there any wiring changes possible in the Williams to get a full horn?
John, I definitely think you need a disk replacement (or retro fit a diode in its place), but check the switch for poor contact or lumpy grease too. If you have a multi-meter check to see if you are getting the voltage boost as well as the DC offset, the switch is actually two position during the lever swing.  I use a KW too, refurbished  years back.

(check the internal rollers on the KW every few years too. They are about the only thing that will totally kill that baby before its time). 

Since the KW works with the older Lionel whistle it is doing fine for now. Replace it when you have problems(save some money for now) with it not doing anything when activated.

Lee F.

John Sweit

Thanks CG1 and Phillyreading.  I have fiddled as much as possible with the position of the horn lever and I get a bit of a longer blast but now way to hold a horn sound.  I am going to look at the transformer to check the voltage boost and wipers to see if there is a build up.  I can see the result of the voltage boost in the intensity of the headlights, but I have not put my meter on the tracks yet.  I will do some testing.

Thanks

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: phillyreading on December 27, 2013, 03:43:23 PM
Since the KW works with the older Lionel whistle it is doing fine for now. Replace it when you have problems(save some money for now) with it not doing anything when activated.
Lee F.
The kw I refer to operated air whistles fine before I refurbished it, but not modern ones. With a new disk it does modern whistles too. These were my results after a refurb that cost me less than $20 to do myself, new rollers and disk included, your result may vary. I also did another KW for a pal once with a diode, it works on both too($10[?]). I will eventually try replacing this on all my whistle transformers in time. Though some may get a diode instead of a disk, I like the 5v boost an old transformer puts out as those old whistle motors kind of need it. And I don't think any new solid state ones give this boost, and I also think the lack of boost might be the reason behind the failure to operate most old whistles.

I also remember reading about the 3 seconds for the new stuff but forgot because didn't ever notice this on the Bachmann engines I have run with the kw...they work. But I have used this technique on a Walthers.  

phillyreading

The kw I refer to operated air whistles fine before I refurbished it, but not modern ones. With a new disk it does modern whistles too. These were my results after a refurb that cost me less than $20 to do myself, new rollers and disk included, your result may vary. I also did another KW for a pal once with a diode, it works on both too($10[?]). I will eventually try replacing this on all my whistle transformers in time. Though some may get a diode instead of a disk, I like the 5v boost an old transformer puts out as those old whistle motors kind of need it. And I don't think any new solid state ones give this boost, and I also think the lack of boost might be the reason behind the failure to operate most old whistles.

I also remember reading about the 3 seconds for the new stuff but forgot because didn't ever notice this on the Bachmann engines I have run with the kw...they work. But I have used this technique on a Walthers.  
[/quote]

May I ask you where did you get the parts for your KW to refurbish it with a more modern diode disk?  I ask because I have a ZW that is half-way quirky with the old disks and may need replacement parts very soon. Also have a KW that still works good, just bought some replacement handles for it, and if it fails I will need some parts as well.

Lee F.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Ill ask my pal exactly where he finally got the diodes (its a BIG diode 10a?) I think he said $10ea? They were a bit of a chase. I do remember someone on O Gauge forum posting a source for big diodes more recently, at least 8a, but I think 10a. Ill try and see if I can find it again. I picked up a bunch of rollers and pins at different shows and LHS (Whistle Stop, Detroit) never paid over 50 cent a pair anywhere. Disk was from a dealer at a show 3 years ago I paid about $10 (the disk, clip, 12 rollers/pins,2 micro DPDT switches = $20). I think it was maybe Olsens trains from Ohio?? That wouldn't be a bad place to start. I also see all these "in auctions" as well as resistor wire.(my white cloth resistor wires were inherited, now used up)