News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another new loco idea.

Started by RGS Goose, December 01, 2013, 02:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGS Goose

I know I have mentioned this before, quite a while ago, but I would still like to see Bachmann do a model of the Tasmanian Beyer-Garrat, K-1. This is a very small loco and would fit in nicely with many of the smaller locos that have already been done.
The prototype now resides at the Welsh Highlands Railways, and has been fully restored to running condition, so it wouldn't be a problem to obtain the needed details to build a model.
A look at the WHR site will show many photos, and videos, of this loco in service.
RGS Goose.

Stevelewis

I ahve to agree  withh you    the K1  would  make  an excellent  model  for  0n3  its  quite  small, but powerful  enough if you get  my  meaning,

The  loco  was  built  in Gorton  , by Beyer-Peacock locomotive  works,  Gorton is  around 4  miles  from  Manchester (UK) city  centre  and   my wife  live  around  1 mile  from the  Gorton  works when she  was  a  child,  the loco works   has  long  gone  now  but  their  are  still references in the  area,   a Superstore  stands on some of the  old  site  and  the  road  has been  named   Garratt Way,  not  far  away  there is  a Public  House  ( Inn/Bar)  called  'The  Garratt'  which  has    a line  drawing  of  K1   around 6' high near  its  entrance.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Hamish K

I too would love this, though i doubt that it will happen as, to date. Bachmann has not made an On30 item with a prototype from a non US manufacturer. Please Bachmann, prove me wrong.

Hamish

ksivils

I agree. Eastern Europe had numerous 30 inch lines (750mm?) with fascinating locomotives. If you want to go BIG, the Hartz Mountain line has really cool 2-10-2s!

Stevelewis

Quote from: ksivils on December 02, 2013, 09:17:41 AM
I agree. Eastern Europe had numerous 30 inch lines (750mm?) with fascinating locomotives. If you want to go BIG, the Hartz Mountain line has really cool 2-10-2s!

I have  one  of  those!!  Very   impressive  powerful  locomotive,  not  for  0n30  though  its  LGB !
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

steamrusty

Hey,
but in which scale? The american 0-scale is 1:48, in Europe and Germany 1:45. Henke Modellbau make engines and rolling stock of differnt german railways in 1:45.
I also would like a Garrett, but in an other scale than 1:48 would be a further line of Bachmann narrow gauge.
Best wishes from Germany
steamrusty

RGS Goose

I believe it needs to be done in 1:48 scale to fit in with the small locos Bachmann have already done.
I have done some comparisons with the K-1 kit that is available in 7mm - foot in Britain, and it makes too much difference in overall size to be acceptable to run with the small Bachmann locos, and still look right, in my opinion.
RGS Goose

GG1onFordsDTandI

A link, or photo, would have been nice ???, took 5 searches to get less than a dozen pics of one ::). And which of the hundred sites about this Welsh RR site is the right one?  :-\ :P
The more interest generated the better! In the states we would say "you guys really dropped the ball on that play" :-[.

RGS Goose

Hi GG1,
Sorry about the lack of a photo, but my computer abilities leave a lot to be desired, and I wouldn't have a clue how to attach a photo. Same problem with a link to the WHR site, but when I Google "Welsh Highlands Railway K-1", the first site I get gives me photos of the K-1, and the others will give you access to videos, and more photos. There is plenty of info out there on the loco, without looking too hard.
Happy railroading,
RGS Goose.

lvrr325

Bachmann seems to favor Baldwin in it's On30 offerings - even the Whitcomb comes from what became a division of Baldwin before going out of business entirely.