Hudson slows down and stalls

Started by WKT58, December 06, 2013, 11:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WKT58

I own over 100 Williams/WBB locomotives, and only a very few have had any operating problems.  I recently acquired a semi-scale WBB New York Central 4-6-4 Hudson via eBay.  After about 5 to 10 minutes of running (pulling 6 Madison passenger cars), the locomotive slows down and eventually stops.  The motor runs hot; the flywheel almost can burn your finger.  I have lubricated all of the wheels, axles, siderods, and the motor shaft under the flywheel.  I have added extra grease to the worm gear also.  The engine still stalls after running for a short time. 

WKT58

Quote from: WKT58 on December 06, 2013, 11:26:37 AM
I own over 100 Williams/WBB locomotives, and only a very few have had any operating problems.  I recently acquired a semi-scale WBB New York Central 4-6-4 Hudson via eBay.  After about 5 to 10 minutes of running (pulling 6 Madison passenger cars), the locomotive slows down and eventually stops.  The motor runs hot; the flywheel almost can burn your finger.  I have lubricated all of the wheels, axles, siderods, and the motor shaft under the flywheel.  I have added extra grease to the worm gear also.  The engine still stalls after running for a short time.  Any suggestions?

phillyreading

Since you bought it from ebay, you may have the siderods off centered. Can you take the motor out and see if the side rods hang up when being turned?

I have 12 Williams engines before Bachmann and have no real issues with them.
Other then an F-7 would not start in forward, but I fixed that one with a bridge rectifier and removed the circuit board.

Lee F.

WKT58

The siderods are fine and aren't bent.  Everything has been properly lubricated. The motor or gears do not seize up, but the motor runs hot and slows down to a stop after running just 5 or 10 minutes.  After it cools, the locomotive runs fine.  What a disappointment.  My 2003 Williams Blue Comet Berkshire runs smoothly and flawlessly.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Either return it ::), or use the best warranty around  ;D .....Or disassembly time :D If the gears seem fine, likely the motor, with the heat and all. But it just maybe, could be, a wiring/board issue(and/or) not allowing proper current flow and making the motor run hot. If you take it apart, look for pinched wires, (feel them for heat >) While hot, see if you get a different run result by giving a "jump" right to the motor. If you get a cooler/proper running motor its the board getting hot limiting the motor current causing it to run hot. Runs the same- get a new motor.
100 locos? :o... 8)   

r0gruth

WKT
I'm sure you have already tried these things but I will ask anyway.
Have you run the loco with no cars?
Have you run the loco without the tender?
Have you run the loco upside down as a test{off the track of course]?
Have you tried it with the boiler superstructure off?
Have you checked the wheels on the tender and the cars?
Roger

phillyreading

Some info on Williams can motors. If you want to test the can motor by itself use a 12 volt car or motorcycle battery power or an H.O. power-pack as these put out DC voltage. Do not use straight power from the transformer!
Or you can use a bridge rectifier from the transformer to the motor for a test.

Lee F.

phillyreading

Quote from: WKT58 on December 10, 2013, 10:05:43 AM
The siderods are fine and aren't bent.  Everything has been properly lubricated. The motor or gears do not seize up, but the motor runs hot and slows down to a stop after running just 5 or 10 minutes.  After it cools, the locomotive runs fine.  What a disappointment.  My 2003 Williams Blue Comet Berkshire runs smoothly and flawlessly.

Just because the side rods are straight and not bent you could have the other problem called quartering or rod timing. What is involved is how the side rods turn in relation to the wheels, if the side rods are off this may cause your problem.
Usually somebody with experience on postwar trains can find this problem very quickly.

Lee F.

WKT58

The motor has seized up on the Hudson.  I will try to get it repaired.

Hi WKT58,

You can buy a new motor for your Loco from this website. Just go to the parts section under semi-scale Hudsons. The motor is available from that listing.

I have a semi-scale 2056 Hudson. I believe it to be 3 years old now. It is a great runner. Smooth running, well balanced weight distribution onto the drive wheels, well behaved on turnouts and X crossings.
            I replaced the original smoke unit with the larger LGB #5 smoke unit by removing the stack adapter from the boiler. I wired in series (2) small rectifier diodes. This lowered the maximum voltage from the constant voltage board from 7.9 volts down to a maximum of 6.5 volts. I also wired an on off switch for the smoke unit. I have this setup for 3 years now. It smokes like it is on fire. I use Crest smoke fluid ( Trainland $4.99 4oz bottle ) it smokes for 15-20 minutes.
             The semi-scale Berkshire uses the same boiler shell. I have one in the Great Northern color scheme. I find it not to be as good as the Semi-Hudson. The balance point is different in relation to the drivers.
              All of my WbyB locos are very good, the semi-scale Hudson is my favorite.