Previous topic - Next topic

aussie geoff

Hello

I found this little gem of a whitcomb with a peeked roof

aussie geoff

aussie geoff

Stevelewis

Nice  One!!

If  you  checl out  Accucraft's  large  scale  website  there  are some  rather  nice pics  of  their  Whitcomb  Diesel loco  and  also  some interesting  data  on  the   original  full size  locos  and  where  they   were  used, (Hawaii for  example)
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

lvrr325

That's the first exact match to the Bachmann model I've seen.

One wonders why they didn't choose more common options for it. 

Stevelewis

I wondered  that   too,

I am   just  about  to   watch  the  Cricket  from Adelaide, if I  can  bear  it  that  is1!!!!!!!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

lvrr325

Reverse image search tells us that's the BLH plant switcher for their Austin-Western plant, seen working in 1964.  Model is a 45-DE-??, last two numbers would be the number in a series starting from the first of that type. 

My previous hunch is right, it's essentially another Baldwin catalog locomotive, just like the steam is.   Whitcomb became associated with Baldwin in 1929, although if I read this right they didn't fully purchase the company until 1940.  May even be a one of a kind; it would look better on your narrow gauge road with the cab chopped down a couple of feet (and change it to arched in the process). 

Which probably isn't that hard to do, make a template, scribe the upper end cab walls through, cut the sides level, glue on a piece of .010 or .020 styrene and rubber bands to hold it until the glue sets, then paint it.  Might even be able to get away with retaining the factory paint if you're careful.  Will help if the cab is easily removed from the model.