News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stack replacement

Started by darryl1936, December 16, 2013, 02:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darryl1936

How about changing the stacks on a 2-6-6-2.  I would like to put an onion/cabbage stack on the engine and before I break something, is this an easy job? Take my hand and lead me...   Help appreciated.

TOF in Oregon

Stevelewis

I own  several  2-6-6-2s  & 2-4-4-2 and  all have  had  their  stacks  changed!

Changing  the  funnels  as  we  call them  over  here is  simple,  they  are  attached to  the  boiler  with  a  TINY cross headed  screw at the  bottom of the  stack,, so  its  simply  a  case of  using  a very small cross headed  (philips) screwdrived to  remove the  screw  and  then  fit  your  desired  stack using  the  same screw.

A Hint   it  helps  to coat  the  tip of the  screwdriver  with a substance that  will make  the  screw  stick to it  on removal  ( I tend to  use a tiny  drop of adhesive), likewise  this will assist in the location of the  screw down  the  stack  when refitting to the boiler
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

darryl1936

Thanks Steve.    Make mine Guinness Stout always.    

I just finished removing the original stack and installed the Onion/Cabbage stack. It sure has a small Phillips screw and was it ever tight !   I used a dab of glue to hold the screw on the driver as Steve mentioned to install the new stack.

Cheers TOF in Oregon