News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New S2

Started by 38Mike, December 20, 2013, 09:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

38Mike

Hello,
New to forum, 1st post by way of a question. I received a new S2 with sound last night. Am in process of getting a NCE Powercab; until then, I made circle of track and hooked up my MRC 1300 powerpack, just to check engine out. As I increased power the headlight/taillight would blink on and off and you could hear a click click click until sufficient power reached decoder to start engine sounds and get engine moving...
I understand DC operation is a little "rougher" and that once I get DCC controller, I'll be able to fine tune the settings, etc., just curious if the blinking lights are normal on DC

thanks ahead of time

Mike

richg

SOP for dual mode decoders. Standard Operating Procedure.

The microprocessor on the decoder needs at least five volts to wake up and maybe a couple more volts for the loco to begin to move.

Rich

ALCO1000

Quote from: 38Mike on December 20, 2013, 09:22:40 AM
Hello,
New to forum, 1st post by way of a question. I received a new S2 with sound last night. Am in process of getting a NCE Powercab; until then, I made circle of track and hooked up my MRC 1300 powerpack, just to check engine out. As I increased power the headlight/taillight would blink on and off and you could hear a click click click until sufficient power reached decoder to start engine sounds and get engine moving...
I understand DC operation is a little "rougher" and that once I get DCC controller, I'll be able to fine tune the settings, etc., just curious if the blinking lights are normal on DC

thanks ahead of time

Mike
Yes It is normal for dcc /dc sound locos require a little more power for there operation in the less technical jargon,
Jack