Bachmann compatibility with MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller 2.0

Started by WildMaryFan, December 20, 2013, 07:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildMaryFan

I like DC, but I wanted a walk around controller, which basically means the MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller 2.0 which should be able to run DC or DCC,  but I am having problems with some recent Bachmann Engines. They all worked perfectly using my old MRC Tech II Dual Power 2800.

On the new Tech 6, old engines work fine, but I get the following problems with newer engines:
     - In DC mode, the S-4 goes in reverse no matter the direction it faces or the direction on the controller.
     - In DC mode, the RS-3 goes in reverse fine, but will not go forward.
     - In DCC mode, both engines go the right direction but the lights do not operate.

I can live without DCC, but I want my engines to run correctly, with lights on.

What now? Do I have to do some programming? How would I do that with the Tech 6? Do I need to do something with the Tech 6?

Hunt

In DCC mode (MRC refers to it as DUAL MODE) press 0 to turn headlights on and off.

WildMaryFan

Thank you, that is good. The lights now work in DCC mode.

Now, any ideas how to get DC working in both directions?

skipgear

Since you have the Tech 6, just run them in DCC. Both the S4 and RS3 are DCC installed and when you put them on a track with any sort of DCC signal, they will run as DCC loco's. I am betting the Tech 6 runs the DC locos by adding at DC voltage signal over top of the DCC signal (the same way many DCC systems allow you to run a DC loco on address 0) which is confusing the decoders in the locos. They prefer to run in DCC mode.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Hunt

Quote from: skipgear on December 25, 2013, 02:35:28 AM
. . .  I am betting the Tech 6 runs the DC locos by adding at DC voltage signal over top of the DCC signal (the same way many DCC systems allow you to run a DC loco on address 0). . .

skipgear,
DC from the TECH 6 SOUND CONTROLLER 2.0 is not created by DCC signal zero bit stretching.

richg

Quote from: Hunt on December 25, 2013, 01:58:16 PM
. . .  I am betting the Tech 6 runs the DC locos by adding at DC voltage signal over top of the DCC signal (the same way many DCC systems allow you to run a DC loco on address 0). . .

skipgear,
DC from the TECH 6 SOUND CONTROLLER 2.0 is not created by DCC signal zero bit stretching.

Correct. It sends PWM to the loco motor. I just did a search for the controller and the method of operation is discussed. Best way to find the correct information.
It can run DCC locos but only with the 03 loco code. It is capable of reseting a decoder to 03 with signals for the different sound operations.
One link described how it runs a Bachmann Peter Witt trolley.

Rich

skipgear

Quote from: richg on December 25, 2013, 08:29:46 PM
Quote from: Hunt on December 25, 2013, 01:58:16 PM
. . .  I am betting the Tech 6 runs the DC locos by adding at DC voltage signal over top of the DCC signal (the same way many DCC systems allow you to run a DC loco on address 0). . .

skipgear,

Correct. It sends PWM to the loco motor. I just did a search for the controller and the method of operation is discussed. Best way to find the correct information.
It can run DCC locos but only with the 03 loco code. It is capable of reseting a decoder to 03 with signals for the different sound operations.
One link described how it runs a Bachmann Peter Witt trolley.

Rich

Just the same, some decoders confuse PWM as a DCC signal and have problems. There have been some previously released MRC throttles that struggled with a DCC loco in DC operation. Prue DC is the most trouble free way to run a decoderized loco on DC. You have the capability to run them as a DCC unit. why not do it?
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

richg

The MRC Tech 6 is different than the older MRC throttles with pulse. Many are successfully using the Tech 6.

Do a Google search for MRC Tech 6 sound controller 2.0. Do some research. There are reviews with Oscilloscope readings made by some who use the system.
Google should be your best friend. Beats getting led by the hand.

Rich

WildMaryFan

Thanks everyone. Quite an education. Yes, I should have been googling to find out more. I did find the addendum instructions on the MRC web site which provides a lot more detail. The comments on the Witt trolley review were interesting. I will start reading and trying out things.

One of the things I am considering is buying a Y switch to toggle back and forth between the Tech II 2800 and the Tech 6 depending upon which locomotive is running at that particular moment.

And once I can get this working to my satisfaction, I may came back to the Message board with questions about slow speed squelch noise in steam mode on my MRC Sound Generator 8000 when using the Tech 6. First things first.

But I do love all those great new engines that are appearing, especially the Bachmann ones. Big change over the years. More quality, more details and more Western Maryland.