News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 tender

Started by jr switch, February 12, 2007, 09:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jr switch

Hello all, I'm new to this forum,[cause i didn't know it was here], but as a fan of Bachmann engines, I think I'm in the right place. Got a question about compatability.
     I have the Bachmann standard Santa Fe 4-8-4 with the oil tender with the eight wheel trucks. It's huge. Seems as big as the engine. Overpowering. Will one of the Vanderbilt tenders, sold separately, connect to this engine, [DCC wiring], and work correctly, or not?
     Iv'e also considered a little alteration of the original tender and turn it into a coal carrier. Would there be a little room in the top frontal area to make some changes, or is the circuit board there? Any suggestions?---John

the Bach-man

Dear John,
You'd have to change out the boards in the tender, but Ii think it would look very strange.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jr switch

Kit-bashing the oil tender would look strange, or using the vanderbilt would look strange? You've lost me. Are you saying that the circuit board in the Vanderbilt would have to be changed?
          I was also wanting to know, wouldn't this engine have used more than one design of tender? What are my options? Or was this model always oil-fired?
           Thanks for the prompt response------John

SteamGene

Jr. Switch,
I'm not a Santa Fe expert, but I don't think they used Vanderbilts.  They did, however, use enormous tenders.  In addition, a large tender is a sign of a late steam engine. 
The Santa Fe was divided into a coal region and an oil region so many classes had some coal fired and some oil fired.  They also jumped back and forth between coal and oil with several locomotives as they were moved around the system. 
Years ago I converted a Bachmann standard oil Vanderbilt to a coal bunker.  I took a Dremel and drilled a series of holes around the top of the oil tank until I could cut it out.  I then filed and sanded the edge smooth, and filled it with a piece of black painted syrofoam and glued coal to the top.  It looks okay.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

If you are interested in how the tender for the 2900s were built check this out.   WWW. nmrhs.org/

jr switch

Ram, very cool website! Thanks--I have several steam engine videos and at least three of them feature different restored 4-8-4's. None of them have the type of tender I have. They seemed to be as big as this one, but carried coal. The engines look pretty much the same as mine.
         I guess I was hoping to give this tender just a little bit more curb appeal, but I can live with it the way it is. The engine is a good runner and pulls well, so I'm happy. Thanks again-----John R

the Bach-man

Dear Jrr,
I simply meant that the wrong tender on such a well-known engine would look strange.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jr switch

Bach Mann-----Your right and I agree--------it stays protypical---John R

Steve Stull

Sorry this is so untimely, just rejoined the group.

An alternative to the Vanderbilt tender would be one of the smaller 20K gallon tenders from the 3751 class or the 3765 class. Significantly smaller than the 25K gallon versions.

Still maintains the Santa Fe look quite well, even though the 2900 class is much more modern than the others.

Good luck

Steve Stull