4-8-4 union pacific steam engine speed in overland set?

Started by jjdog33, December 25, 2013, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdog33

I just bought the Bachmann Overland train set for myself and my son (new to train hobby).  I got it set up no problem, I guess I just expected the set to go faster than what it does.  It takes about 14 seconds with all the cars in the set connected to make one trip around the track with the speed controller fully open (fast).  Does this seem right?  Also, what determines speed?

GG1onFordsDTandI

Slower moving trains are desirable among the scale crowd. If you were to check the speed in a scale aspect, it is likely traveling at a reasonable scale mph. The length of your track isn't mentioned but, an HO train traveling three feet in 3 seconds is about 60mph. 2 seconds is about 90mph, 7 seconds is about 25mph.

Hunt

I do not know the expected top speed of the train.

The electrical power reaching motor, gear ratio, wheel traction and all things creating drag are the key things that effect speed of the model.

Follow the break-in and lubrication instructions plus clean track and wheel tread will result in locomotive best performance.  Fine-tuning the roll of the cars will help.

Right now the complete train is running at 67.95 Scale MPH

Irbricksceo

If i remeber correctly, this set had six straights and 22inch radius curves. Some quick math means that loop is almost exactly 16 feet around. which is about one quarter of a mile.  which, in 14 seconds, is about 67 MPH, My spectrum 2-8-0 when loaded with no cars can hit about 61 scale MPH so I don't think you have too much of a problem, it has around 10 cars if memory serves. If anyone thinks i messed up my math let me know but yeah.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

The speed seems reasonable but with the controller at full speed, I would expect the loco to go too fast and flip off the track. Don't have the set so just a guess on my part.
Any DC power pack I have ever had would make a loco run too fast.
Does each car roll well by itself? I use a three foot piece of track on a two by four and lift it one one end a little to see how well the car rolls.
Run the loco by itself and see how it performs.

Rich

union pacific 4014

i have that set  at full speed it stays on the track fine

richg

Quote from: union pacific 4014 on December 25, 2013, 07:58:19 PM
i have that set  at full speed it stays on the track fine

Only the loco?

Quite unusual.
One fellow here a few days ago asked how to keep his loco from flying off the track, He was told to turn down the power pack as I recall.

Rich