Jupiter 4-4-0, How to lub it and clean the brushes?

Started by whecsailor, December 30, 2013, 03:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whecsailor

Hello all
for Christmas Santa brought me a Bachmann frontiersman N scale set with the 4-4-0 in it.
It is running a little rough. Although the kit is still sealed, I know it is an older kit.
Please, how do I clean the brushes on it, and what and where should I lube it at to make it run smoother please?
thank you in advance.

bobwrgt

First make sure track is clean. It might be new but could have oxidation on it. Then run it for at least 15-20min in each direction to break it in. If this does not help then separate the engine from the tender and put the drive shaft aside. Remove the tender trucks (center screw on each) Don't loose the springs. Clean the springs top and bottom. Clean the area where the springs contact the brass strips and where they contact the truck frames. I have never removed the tender shell to clean the brushes. I have 4 of these engines. Put a small drop of oil on the motor drive shaft behind the shaft coupler and the motor frame. Then put the trucks back on making sure the springs are where they should be. You can also stretch the springs just a little to give more pressure. Just a LITTLE.
For he main engine remove the one screw in the center and the shell should lift off. Use light oil or light grease to lube the worn gear and the shaft. When you but the screw back in before  you tighten all the way turn the shaft to make sure all wheels spin free. Reconnect the engine to tender and you should be good to go.
These engine always seem to run a little rough after sitting for awhile but get better after a few laps.