clarification on voltage types for large scale trains

Started by stuckerw, January 03, 2014, 11:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuckerw

I've been looking at these locomotives and cannot determine if they are AC or DC operation. How can you tell which they are and can large scale locomotives be switched from AC to DC or vs versa?

Also does DCC operation have to be used only on DC voltage?

Someone advise

Thanks

phillyreading

Before we get our feet wet on this subject let' clarify what you mean by large scale.
Are you referring to G scale or Standard Gauge trains?

I think that G scale uses D.C. voltage, not 100% sure.
I know that Standard Gauge uses A.C. voltage, both Lionel & MTH models.

Lee F.

WTierce1

I felt like I might be able to clarify a bit better, The only scales of trains that use AC Current are "O" Scale and "S" Scale trains. Any other scale almost always uses DC Current to power them. DCC is a special form of AC current. You can but are advised NOT to use a standard DC locomotive on DCC power. (You should also not try to use DCC on "O" or "S" scale, different ways of powering). DCC sends signals into the track to a specific locomotive that has the correct address. The decoder in the locomotive turns the AC waveform in the track into usable DC to power lights and the motor when the Decoder receives a signal to do so. The only exception to the AC/DC rule are HO Marklin trains, and even mose of those use DCC, so I hope that this helps.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

stuckerw

Thanks for the information. I understand better now. Several additional questions.

I am looking at Garden Scale and I see these using DCC control systems. I see you do not recommend using DC power with DCC control systems. Am I understanding this correctly? I see in magazines DCC being used in Garden Scale locomotives.

Second I see some locomotives advertised as analog power. Could you explain what is meet here?

Thanks

Bill

WTierce1

In order to properly use your large scale on DCC, you would need to install a DCC decoder. Depending on how good you are with electronics (and following instructions, and how much you want to spend), you can wire one in yourself. If you have a local hobby shop, they might be able to install it for you if you choose to do so. You will need a DCC system as well though, but you seem to get it that far.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Nathan

Bachmann sell Large Scale with DCC installed with and without sound.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bachmann sells many DCC ready locomotives in large Scale, simply plug in th4 decoder and go. These same locomotives run just fine when run on DC power as well. Then there is radio Control!!!!

Nathan it would be best t post this on the Large Scale forum, you will get much more help there.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

My recommendation, is to start with straight DC track power and make contact with a local LARGE SCALE club or individuals in your area.  We can make recommendations, but one to one conversations will help a lot.  There are several power options out there analog DC, DCC, battery (with and without radio control).  They all have advantages and disadvantages.  I have been in the hobby for over 30 years.  My power is mostly analog DC.  I have three engines equipped for battery with RC.  The battery power permits me to run anywhere.  Get your feet wet in the hobby.  Learn what types of trains you like and how large you are planning to build your layout.  If you are planning to run one train at a time, DCC might not be needed.  If you are planning a large layout where you want to run several trains on the same track at the same time you will need battery or DCC.  Battery and DCC will add more costs per engine.  Chuck

Chastity

One can also use a decoder in which instead of sending the signals through the rail instead receives its 'commands' wirelessly such as the Aristocraft (now Crest) Revolution.  There are others as well. 

I run track power with a Revolution which allows me to have constant voltage in the rails but control each locomotive via a hand held transmitter. 

Chuck N

Chasity

I use the REVO for two of my battery powered engines.  I like it.

For track power I use the Bridgewerks remote.  It varies the voltage to the track for speed and polarity for direction.  That way I can remotely control all my engines, not just the ones wired with REVO.

Chuck

phillyreading

Quote from: wtierce on January 03, 2014, 05:18:17 PM
I felt like I might be able to clarify a bit better, The only scales of trains that use AC Current are "O" Scale and "S" Scale trains. Any other scale almost always uses DC Current to power them. DCC is a special form of AC current. You can but are advised NOT to use a standard DC locomotive on DCC power. (You should also not try to use DCC on "O" or "S" scale, different ways of powering). DCC sends signals into the track to a specific locomotive that has the correct address. The decoder in the locomotive turns the AC waveform in the track into usable DC to power lights and the motor when the Decoder receives a signal to do so. The only exception to the AC/DC rule are HO Marklin trains, and even mose of those use DCC, so I hope that this helps.

Not wanting to confuse but clarify things better with O gauge and scale O gauge. With Lionel or O gauge trains most are AC voltage but not all, Lionel did some starter sets in the 90's with DC voltage. Most O scale two rail are DC voltage.
Lionel Standard Gauge trains(close to G gauge in size) use AC power as well.

The use of DC voltage with most Lionel 3 rail & Standard Gauge engines will sound the whistle or horn continuously as the horn and whistle in Lionel's are DC powered.

O gauge verses Scale O can be sort of simplified a bit by saying that people in scale lean more to being what is called rivet counters or precise size & detail people, while O gauge are for people who mainly want to have fun running trains and are not as concerned about all the details.

American Flyer O gauge trains were AC, and most of A.C. Gilbert's American Flyer S gauge were AC. One or two exceptions in S gauge is when the number has the letters DC after it, example 322DC, that it is DC in A.F.

Lee F.