News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mixing Scales

Started by On30don, January 07, 2014, 09:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On30don

Has anyone ever combined O and On30 scales to create a narrow and standard scale lines in the same layout?

Just curious.

richg

Many have. Same with HO and HOn3 or HOn30.

Rich

railexpert

Hello,

O and On30 are the same scale 1:48.

Only the gauge is different:
O is standard gauge 4ft 8 1/2in, in scale 1.250".
On30 is narrow gauge 2ft 6in, in scale 0.650".

You only are mixing gauges, not the scale.

There are enough ptototype examples for exist both gauges together, mostly in stations.
The D&RGW and the C&S had even three rail tracks (or mixed gauge tracks) for combined trafic in both gauges on the same track.

Railexpert  ;)

Royce Wilson

You could do dual rail operation but the problem is American O scale is not 4'81/2",but 5 foot gauge and the On30 is 31" so in the model form if you did this it looks like Lionel track,I know I tried this.

Royce

Skarloey Railway

O + On30 3 rail dual gauge track representing 3' and standard gauge does look wrong, as you say. Are there any examples of dual gauge in the US where the narrow gauge rails are placed between the standard gauge (i.e., 4 rail dual gauge) The Baie de Somme in Northern France uses dual gauge 4 rail track for metre and standard gauge, as shown here: http://www.narrowgauge.nl/site/cfbs/img/058%20cfbs.jpg
The narrower gauge rails are normally centred between the standard gauge but are here canted to one side to give room for the pointwork, etc.

BIG BEAR

On30Don,
  I have also seen O Guage in the foreground and On30 in the background area using HO or S scale buildings, this is called forced perspective making it look farther away or more distance between them.

Enjoy,
  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

ebtnut

There may have been rare instances of four-rail track in the US.  However, I've only seen it used to gain access to a turntable.  The three-rail track comed toward the turntable, and then there is a single point on the common side that takes the narrow gauge from 3 to 4 rails.  This is done to make sure the loco is balanced on the turntable.  The four-rail track goes into the enginehouse (if there is one) to be centered over an inspection pit. 

Skarloey Railway

It does seem rare. The Baie de Somme is the only one I know of where it's done. I guess it's to keep the couplers centred.

But many standard NG interchanges did without mixed gauge track so the complication needn't arise.

In fact, one could just have a couple of standard gauge spurs and a few cars to suggest an interchange without needing to find a massive amount of space and suitable motive power. Although the standard gauge would be scenic rather than operable the bulk of those cars would be a good contrast with the much smaller NG stock.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Skarloey Railway

Hmm
Odd looking arrangement of ties on some of those switches, but the HOm track is interesting. If we accept HO track (16.5mm gauge) as standing for 3' gauge in O scale, then HOm track (12mm gauge) can represent 2' gauge.

One would still have to find suitable stock and locos for the 12mm gauge but 12mm is an established gauge used in both HOm and TT so the basics are in place and there are probably some useful chassis that can be put under an O scale body to get something running.

An interchange between 3' gauge and 2' gauge is uncommon (Black Hawk is the only one that comes to mind) but it is intriguing.