News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnout

Started by 62 gary, January 09, 2014, 11:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 gary

I got 2 new NS 4 turnouts 1 of them shorts engine out when it is on switch side and sometimes shorts out whole track

jbrock27

What maker's turnouts are they G?
Do you run DC or DCC?
Does it happen when using 1 particular kind of locomotive or does it happen to any other, or all locomotives?
Keep Calm and Carry On

62 gary

I have 2 gp 40 and 1 gp 38 all do it all are dc I  have switched wires like it says to but it still shorts out in the swith

jbrock27

Who is the maker of the turnouts?

And do you possibly have the track running out from the straight route of the turnout, then back toward and connected to the diverging route of the same turnout?  This would cause what is called a "reverse loop"-very bad :'(
Keep Calm and Carry On

62 gary

Bachmann I thimk I found prob it is meatal to metal in center of switch and the other switches are not touching there they have plastic in between like a insulator or something this one does not

jbrock27

Is it possible to post a picture of what you are referring to?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

I'm not 100%, but click and read on this.  It mentions similar things to what you are mentioning: a short, and the fact that 1 turnout appears different than the others on the same layout.  One difference is this person in the link is referring to DCC.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/744/t/200778.aspx

Keep Calm and Carry On