News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0, again...

Started by Nick_Burman, October 29, 2007, 09:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick_Burman

Most of us are eagerly and anxiously waiting for the release of the 4-4-0, in the meatime I have another question... how much does the Bachmann loco adhere to the dimensions of the Mt. Gretna Narrow Gauge loco? Or have some dimensions been changed? I've scaled up the drawing in the Steam Cyclopedia, the Mt.GNGRR loco is TINY, although by no means the smallest 4-4-0 built by Baldwin. Never mind, her size suits me fine... I rather prefer smaller locos, gives me an excuse to run more trains... ;D

Royce Wilson

Looks like the only thing changed was adding a sand dome. Most folks don't know that it was pouplar in that era to have hidden sand domes like the Mt.Gretna engine.
If you call the Mt.Gretna narrow gauge a park train ,then what was the Marthas Vineyard railroad?.

This  Bachmann model is of a generic small Baldwin 4-4-0 and will backdate very well. can't wait to get one.
Just look in Hiltons narrow gauge book and you will see narrow gauge 4-4-0's that looks like you had taken a HO 4-4-0 engine and added a O scale cab.

Mine is gonna be a wood burner with a shorten smoke box ,Radley and Hunter stack and some polished flanged domes.
Of course it gonna have to be painted either wine color with red and fancy gold filigees.
I can hear it now here comes six flags!.....thats the way the first narrow gauge engines looked.real painted ladys.
                                                                             Royce Wilson

Nick_Burman

The early Porter 2-4-0 tender locos favored by some of the first NG roads were more or less the same size as the Mt.GNGRR locos. No lack of prototypes for "teeny-weeny" 4-4-0s...

Cheers Nicholas

AlanM

Royce:
You and I are of one mind regarding painted ladies.  But have been looking for some time for flanged domes and can't find a supplier for On30/On3.  Do you have a secret source?
    Alan Miller

Royce Wilson

Try PSC catalog. or contact ,Coronado Scale Models in Phoenix,AZ.

I have a old O scale kit of a C.P.Huntington that has the correct size domes, I am trying my hand at molding. I gaurentee when the model comes out someone will make after market domes.
                                                         Royce

Royce Wilson

OK, I pulled out my PSC catalog and the sand dome that probably would work is part PSH-40178 Steam dome,early style.
The Sand dome is part PSH-40177 sand dome early style.

If you are not familar with the PSC catalog. the parts are to scale and the sand dome mentioned is actuallmore narrow and taller than the early Porter sand dome.

I use the brass domes on the Bachmann mogul because polished brass bands look better that bands painted gold to simulate polished brass.

Royce Wilson ;D

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Check out the requested comparison between the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 in the Photo Gallery.
The loco was enthusiastically received at the Hudson Valley On30 meet over the weekend.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ken

Bach-mann

Excellent comparsion shots of the 4-4-0 vs 2-6-0, think you just sold me on getting one. OK would have been neat to have been an outside frame
but I will live with it,<G>.

Ken Clark
    GWN

Chris333

The wood cabbed version with the oil headlight looks like an exact match for the Mt. Gretna locomotives. They removed the fenders and added a sand dome.  The Gretna locomotives sand was stored in the fenders. They did have a 4.16% grade on the short line. The pilot may be a tad different as well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/On30/photo#5106609658038064146
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/On30/photo#5106609709577671714
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/On30/photo#5106609774002181170
the magnifying glass in the upper right corner will make them larger.

The Bachmann 4-4-0 with wood cab:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/gallery/albums/album40/aah.sized.jpg

Jeff in NJ

We're getting closer to that delivery date...I can't wait for my 4-4-0s. I have one of each version on order... ;D

Frisco

I think it would be cool to have one painted for Nevada county narrow gage . ::)