News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 K-27

Started by hickoryhollow, September 23, 2007, 05:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japasha

Sjack,

Contact me directly so I can send full files with pictures. The email address is under my name.

Dusten Barefoot

I have been buggin' bachmann for a Tweetsie 10-wheeler for about 1 or 2 years now :D. OH please bachmann make a nice black and green Tweetsie 10-wheeler with nice lettering and 2 versions of the head lamp, the round kerosene lamp and a electric one. I am begging.
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoot
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

amdaylight

I personally would like a nice medium size two truck three cylinder shay, say something in the 30 to 40 ton size.

My two cents worth,

Andre ;D

Nick_Burman

Quote from: Woody Elmore on September 26, 2007, 09:58:05 AM
Nicholas - the SR&RL #24 prairie type loco is my favorite NG engine. Train and Trooper just brought out an HOn30 version in brass.

This engine is long and would need some really good engineering to get it to negotiate tight curves. I think Bachmann is going to stick with little teapots that blend in with their previous offerings.

In my opinion,  a scaled down Tweestsie ten wheeler would be welcomed by many On30 modelers.

Well, seems that Bachmann has become adept at solving hard model engineering problems. After all, the Forney navigates (barely!) 18" radius curves... never mind that the rear end sticks out, at least it works. A 2-6-2 would be easy by comparison...

To put what I've said in my previous post in context, here are some pics of Perus #7 http://br.geocities.com/perus_pirapora/efpp-7.htm.

When I've said "scaled down Tweetsie" I meant looking into the depths of the Baldwin or Alco files for a 30" loco with a at least passing resemblance of the Tweetsie locos. I know of one such loco, the difficult part would be finding the drawings for it...

Cheers Nicholas

mmiller

I don't see why the Tweesie (or RGS) 4-6-0 would need to be "scaled down"?...it's not like they are gigantic loco's...maybe just between the 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 in size

if one wants a "scaled down" 4-6-0, it'd be pretty darn simple to but an O scale cab and stack on a Bcahmann HO scale 4-6-0 and end up with something that would match up pretty well with the forthcoming 4-4-0...
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Nick_Burman

Yes, small they are, but they are still 3-foot locos with outside driving wheels - just plunking them on On30 track would make them look ridiculous... sort of a green bicicle...  ;D the 2-6-0 barely makes into the 30" gauge league (would have to have its drivers reduced to 33" to look OK) and the 2-8-0 is a universal loco, good for anything from 30" to 42" gauge but which only makes the smaller gauge by dint of being a outside-frame loco (read low center of gravity). And just putting O scale hardware on a HO 4-6-0 IMHO will make a loco suitable only for a fairground ride... I'm thinking of a loco lying between the 4-4-0 and the 2-6-0 in size, with all the proper hardware.

Cheers Nicholas

C.P.R.R. Manager

Just out of curiosity, how long is the Tweetsie 4-6-0, including the tender?  Then we can figure out how that compares with Bachmann's Mogul and Connie.  I get the feeling that it's on the large side for On30, and Bachmann might be more likely to go with a "catalog" engine.  This would be my preference, depending on the size.  It looks like a slightly entended Mogul.

For what it's worth, one of the guys over at the On30 Conspiracy bashed a nice 4-6-0, using a Mogul-sized boiler and cab, and an HO Tyco 4-6-0 chassis with a new motor.  It might sound odd, but it turned out great, and looked completely plausible.  And I've seen some great 4-6-0's bashed from Bachmann Moguls, although it looks like this project would be a challenge.

Woody Elmore

I saw a great On30 mogul made from a Tyco 10 wheeler. It used Tomalco S scale cylinders and main rods. It was remotored and ran like a Swiss watch. The Tyco boiler is tiny and I think it may be out of scale for HO. This was not one of their better ideas.

The Tyco cylinders are tiny. Tomalco S scale parts have long been unavailable so I suppose you could use Grandt Line cylinders.

I don't recall other details but the Tyco 10 wheeler can be a good starting point for a mechanism. There are dozens of them available on Ebay. Just shop around because some Ebay sellers indicate that this engine may be "rare","vintage" and made out of gold.

Jim Goodridge

Regarding length of the Tweetsie 10 Wheeler, I think it is about 53 feet over the couplers, which would make it about 2 inches longer than the 2-8-0.  Across the cab and tender it is 8 feet 4 inches.  These dimensions were taken from the drawing in Model Railroader July 1981 of number 11.  While larger than the existing locomotives, IMHO I don't think it would be so large as to look out of place.  Bachmann's cars are based on 3 foot prototypes ( granted older and smaller than many) so basing a locomotive on a 3 foot protoype would not be unreasonable.  I would expect that Baldwin would have had a 30 inch version of a 10 wheeler available though.

Best Regards
Jim

Dusten Barefoot

Remember, the Tweetsie #12 does not have its original tender to it. The old tender was scrapped due to the fact that tweetsie did not have any shops back in them days, the new tender was built in the 70s and might be slightly longer than the original one, also remember the G-Scale 10-wheelers were based on the Tweetsie engine, so Bachmann should have the messuerments to build the On30 engine.

Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoot
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Nick_Burman

Well, if the Tweetsie 4-6-0 is longer than the B'mann 2-8-0, then we have a serious issue in hand - the wheelbase. Remember guys that many of us have 18" (or smaller!!) radius curves and that a potential 4-6-0 must go round these curves. If the Tweetsie's wheelbase is longer than that of the 2-8-0, then we'll have a real screecher... The 2-8-0 has a very small wheelbase by comparison, for its size she's a real snake...

Cheers Nicholas

mmiller

Quote from: Nick_Burman on September 28, 2007, 08:13:05 AM
Yes, small they are, but they are still 3-foot locos with outside driving wheels - just plunking them on On30 track would make them look ridiculous... sort of a green bicicle...  ;D the 2-6-0 barely makes into the 30" gauge league (would have to have its drivers reduced to 33" to look OK) and the 2-8-0 is a universal loco, good for anything from 30" to 42" gauge but which only makes the smaller gauge by dint of being a outside-frame loco (read low center of gravity). And just putting O scale hardware on a HO 4-6-0 IMHO will make a loco suitable only for a fairground ride... I'm thinking of a loco lying between the 4-4-0 and the 2-6-0 in size, with all the proper hardware.

Cheers Nicholas

some mighty bold statements there...seems to be some confusion with fact versus opinion  :-[

many people think there are a lot of 3' prototype locos that work just fine on 31.25" track thankyouverymuch...if you personally don't want or like that, that's fine, but to say it looks ridiculous is pretty narrow minded (pardon the pun)

in size, a "typical" 3' gauge 4-6-0 would fall right between the 2-6-0 and the Bachmann or MMI 2-8-0, again not unreasonable compared to the Bachmann freight and passenger cars

and O scale hardware on an HO 4-6-0 would not be any more or less "fairground sized" than the forthcoming 4-4-0 (in fact that is what that sized loco is referred to in the Baldwin catalogue...)

if you're interested this is what an On30 4-6-0 might look like:

IMO the oversize Peco ties look a lot odder than the 3' sized loco on rails 4 3/4 inches too narrow ;)

mike
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Jim Goodridge

Quote from: Nick_Burman on September 28, 2007, 09:05:58 PM
Well, if the Tweetsie 4-6-0 is longer than the B'mann 2-8-0, then we have a serious issue in hand - the wheelbase. Remember guys that many of us have 18" (or smaller!!) radius curves and that a potential 4-6-0 must go round these curves. If the Tweetsie's wheelbase is longer than that of the 2-8-0, then we'll have a real screecher... The 2-8-0 has a very small wheelbase by comparison, for its size she's a real snake...

Cheers Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,  I don't see why the 4-6-0 must go around an 18 inch radius curve.  lots of us use a larger radius than 18 inch.  Also we need to measure the wheelbase of the 8 coupled locomotive and compare to the wheelbase of the 6 coupled locomotive.  The driver area of the 4-6-0 might very well be shorter than the 2-8-0.  Aslo don't forget that Bachmann has been very good at altering locomotives to get around very tight radius.  The forney can apparently get around a 22 inch radius curve.  An On2 Forney would probably need closer to 36 inch, the same as On2 cars if they are based on the Maine prototypes.  In summary I don't think it is appropriate to write off a 10 wheeler based on minimum radius, but, I will defend to the death your right to want a different locomotive.

Best Regards
Jim

BTW Mike, Nice looking 10 wheeler

glennk28

even among ten-wheelers, there can be quite a difference in RIGID wheelbase.RGS 20, the SP locos, and the ETWNC locos are fairly compact--but get a look at a D&RGW T-12--almost room for another driver set in there--   gj

Dusten Barefoot

This might help. This is the spec's from the Tweetsie 12, sadly it does not give the tottal length of the engine.
Spec number:    C-4169
                 Type:    10-26D332
            Cylinders:    16x22
      Boiler diameter:    54", extended wagon top boiler
   Firebox dimensions:    95 15/16" long x 23 3/8" wide
                Flues:    188 flue tubes, 2" diameter, 12' 1 3/4" long
      Heating surface:    116 square feet
           Grate area:    15.5 square feet
Ratio to heat surface:    1/84
            Wheelbase:    driving 10'
                          Total engine 19' 6"
                          Engine and tender 46'