News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 K-27

Started by hickoryhollow, September 23, 2007, 05:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

Often, the issue with minimum radius has to do with the swing of the pilot truck.  The 4-wheel truck creates more issues with cylinder clearance than a two-wheel truck usually does.  The coupled driver wheelbase usually isn't an issue, especially if the center driver is blind (quite common with the prototype, too).  In general, Bachmann has been doing models that are proportioned well for 30" gauge, rather than just trying to use a typical 3-foot gauge engine with narrow wheels.  The Mogul was a small loco, even for its time, and did well for 30" gauge.  The Connie is modeled after a 30" gauge prototype, and the forth-coming 4-4-0 is patterned after a 2-foot gauge prototype.  For all these reasons, I kind of doubt that you will see things like EBT Mikes in the On30 line--they just won't look right with the rest of their line and on 30" gauge track.  MMI has already brought out the D&RG K's in their line, so I don't think you'll see them in the On30 line any time soon either. 

C.P.R.R. Manager

Thanks for the info on the Tweetsie 4-6-0, Jim.  It's really hard to judge the relative size of locomotives in photos.  It's not as big as I expected, but still pretty large compared to the current batch of Bachmann On30 gear.  I think a smaller, more generic 4-6-0 would be more likely from Bachmann. 

Jim Goodridge

I am at the point where I would like to see any 4-6-0, 2-8-2 or 2-6-2.  Small and generic is good, or a Baldwin 30 inch catalog locomotive.  I'd even go for a 2-6-6-2.  For those that have old Model Railroaders check out November 1983, it contains a picture and drawing of a beautiful Baldwin 30 inch gauge 2-6-6-2 built for a banana railroad.  With tender it would only be about 11 inches long.  Right now the only Bachmann locomotive I can use is the 2-8-0 and while I think it is a great locomotive I have almost filled my quota.
Best Regards
Jim

Royce Wilson

I think that if MMI could build a K-37 in On30 and make that beast squeez :o around a 18" radius, then a ten wheeler would not be out of the question.
besides the K-37 started out as a standard gauge locomotive that was converted to narrow gauge. ???
                                                                  Royce Wilson

br549

Trainand trooper has just advertised a 8) HOn30  Baldwin 2-6-2  Sandy river and Rangly lake #24 two footer. I persoanally think this Locomotive would make an excellent addition to Bachmanns fine line of 0n30 products. The  Mogul seems that it would be a great base for running gear.  Just a thought...

max (uk)

Yes a 2-6-2 would be nice. But im a bit worried that all these ideas will be made before a Heisler and i realy want one of them!

br549

I do agree a Heisler would make the Shay and Climax complete no doubt!

Royce Wilson

What size of Heisler does everyone want?

Royce Wilson

Tomcat

Well,
actually something very similar to the G-Scale Heisler: A more modern one, not too small...

Same about a Shay: A more modern Shay, 2-Truck plus an 3-Truck version would be fine. The T-Boiler Engine is fine, but for me a bit too recent.
Have upgraded two Bachmann Engines with Keith Wiseman´s 1890 and 1920 Boiler/Cab Shells. They look great.

Kind regards, Tom

br549

At this point in time I am kit "bashing" a 0n30 Mogul into a 2-6-2.  I guess I cant leave well enough alone. :)  Adding a trailing truck and moving the cab back wasn't that difficult  at all . with some other modifications & detailing out  she should be back up and running with a Soundtraxxs DSD to sweeten the deal.  ;)

glennk28

There is a very nice--looking small 2-6-2 (actually last I heard it was a 2-5-2) at Georgetown. I first saw it at Chama many years ago.  Hawaiian loco, with a whaleback tender. 

max (uk)

Size wise id say as close to http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/gallery/album41/abi as they can get it. I would like a choise of Log, Coal or Oil burner and a choise of stacks would be good.

I would very much like the inside frame bogies as i realy dont like the outside framed ones like on the G scale heisler.

max (uk)

Sorry for the dubble post... Ive just spotted this one: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/gallery/album41/acu
That doesnt look bad eather.

Royce Wilson

How about one of those 17 ton Heislers with the straight boiler?
                                                        ::) ::)Royce Wilson

Dusten Barefoot

Size â€" 54 feet long, 8 feet 4 inches wide, 12 feet 6 inches tall
   Power â€" Coal-fired, steam generated inside 54 inch-wide steel boiler running       under 180 pounds of pressure
   Water tank capacity â€" 3,000 gallons
   Coal capacity â€" 7 tons
   Total working weight with coal and water â€" 82.5 tons
Here is the length of the #12! I hope this might help any of you all out. I would like the boiler on the Heislers to be a high boiler, bachmann hardly has any high boiler engines.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten