News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sams Club

Started by Colorado, September 23, 2007, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado

Well its on their web site, I can only presume that either they do not want to sell very many, or B'mann were concerned about direct competition with the normal product line.

Either way pretty nasty.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373516

vic

Dont blame Bachmann, this isnt any different from the cheesy On30 sets offers I get regularly in the mail, Oh yes like I would really want a Thomas Kinkade On30 train set or a UCLA train set...

Someone payed Bachmann a good chunk of change to do this, I'm sure Bachmann was happy to do so, after they got their payment, just as they are happy to do any sappy gaudy specialty set for the mailorder companies.

The seasonal Christmas geeks are the likely target audience, not modelers. Judging by the responce by hard core modelers, I just hope Sams Club didnt order too many of them...for their own sakes. How well they sell this year and how many of those sets sold end up on Ebay a week after Christmas will be VERY interesting indeed... ;D

Wade Colyer

I'll buy one and stick it under the layout. Yes, it's bad but after seeing what the Lionel pink girls set from the 50's is selling for, it may be the same in the future.

Mark Oles

I posted this on MLS, but it would be appropriate here too..

Lights on a train.  Who would do such a thing?  Where would they get an idea for that?  ;D

diesel...
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=239148

steam...
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=598930

hold your lunch...
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=566697
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=600883
I do agree with you guys that this set is a little too much...

So..this set is not really all that un-prototypical, for Holiday trains, that is!

Hey, if you're in to collecting sets, this one looks different from most of the ones they've offered in the recent past.  The Stock car is a change and the bobber caboose hasn't been used in a while, and the gon is always good for hauling stuff. 

I just checked out the 07 Sams set again on line.  Almost looks like the caboose has LEDs too.  Hey, for me, it might be a good choice with all the lights.  My backyard is really dark, and the a lighted train like this might look pretty cool on those dark nights in December.  Or around the tree, since I'll be getting up like 3 times a night (if I'm lucky) with 'Junior' arriving late next month! (That's if I have energy to put up a tree and a train!)

Bachmann-  could you comment on the LEDs in the caboose? Or is that just mock ups for that photo?

Mark

the Bach-man

Dear Mark,
As I recall the caboose has LEDs as well.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Matthew (OV)

It could have been worse.  MUCH worse.

Imagine... the new K-27 arriving just in time for Christmas....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uh4OS1lFUI

Matthew (OV)

Kevin Strong

Hey, it's not like any of us have run any of the past Sam's sets "as is." What's a few more holes to fill while kitbashing the loco into something else? For the post-Christmas price of $85 (if there are some left), can you really go wrong?

Later,

K

BIG BEAR

The "RIO GRANDE" passenger christmas train had a very classy look to it, rather than the gaudy look of some of the others.
       Oh well, it's all for fun & a good time.
       Also for a good reason. I take the Grandkids to the depot to see the
CP Rail christmas train. The train stops, opens a special boxcar door, & has a 45 minute concert. The cost, is a couple items of food for a donation. It all goes to a local food pantry. That as much as the train, captures the Christmas Spirit.
          Enjoy,
                Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Guys,

This set will definitely be one for the collectors, even if the "serious" G scalers turn up their noses on it. 

Looks like the gon is the same as the one from the Night before Christmas set, and the reindeer transport set is a rerun car as well.  Looking as the valve gear on the loco I would say it is probably NOT an Annie.  The candy cane scheme on the caboose looks new, but I am away from home, and cant get a large picture on this tiny computer I am working on.

I want to definitely document this set, so whoever gets one first please post the details, like is it an Annie?,  The set number, Loco number,  and car numbers including the caboose number if any.

I will eventually get one, but would like to get a close up view in the store first.  It is listed by Sams as available online only,  so it may neve show up in the stores.

Wade,  did you order one yet?

Merry Christmas to all and to all..................

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Wade Colyer

Hi Bill:

No, not yet. I'm going to check if the stores are getting any.

Wade

Jon D. Miller

Sure we run the Sam's Club Christmas Sets.

Our club, Tidewater Big Train Operators, purchases two sets each year.   We display/run one of the sets at our week-long Holiday Show.  The Holiday Show is open and free to the public. 

Raffle tickets are sold to the public.  Ticket sales are always brisk.  Most folks seem to think the Sam's Christmas Sets are nice and they would make a great addition to their Holiday decorations.  The kids think they are great.  The sale of raffle tickets for the sets helps us defray some of the expense connected with this large show.

So, everyone is not a "hard core" train buff.  Have yet to hear, after all these years of displaying and selling tickets for these sets, that they are not prototypical.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

paintjockey

I'm a hardcore train buff. I only model in 1:20.3 (F) scale. BUT, when Christmas rolls around I enjoy the Christmas themed train under the tree. I usually only buy parts on ebay because I don't need a small army of Christmas locos. But when something new comes out I always pick it up. I have lots of people that come over who could care less about my true to scale prototypical railroad in my backyard that I have worked for years on. But the same people love to look at the Christmas train going round and round under the tree that took me 30 minutes to set up. Go figure.

kennywsp4

Does any one know if the leds  run off the track or battery power? and of so what kind and how many thanks?  KIM

mhampton

According to the Sam's Club website, the LEDs are track-powered as are the smoke and sound features on the locomotive.

Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

At a price of $149.95 I would at least hope the set has an Annie in it.  It is certainly not the bargain that it has been in the past if it does not.  I also wonder what couplers will come with the set, and if the LEDs blink on and off or just stay on.   It will be interesting to see what the set breakers on EBay get for the individual parts! 

In past years I have bought 2 or three sets, and used at least one for repainting or bashing, while keeping at least one intact.   This year I will get only one set. unless they give them away in a fire sale after christmas.   The christmas sets are definitely great as a parts supply if nothing else. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!