News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sams Club

Started by Colorado, September 23, 2007, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottychaos

Quote from: Nathan on October 02, 2007, 09:04:05 AM
If and when some one on this group gets one, then we will know what is in the set.  Trying to prove something from a picture or and ad does no good.

*sigh*..fine, dont believe it..even though its utterly proven.

did you click on the link in my post above? there is a comparision between the Sams engine and an annie..I dont see how there can still be any doubt.

here is it again, in case you missed it:

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW!   :D

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/scottychaos/gen5-vs-annie.jpg

(I posted it as a link rather than as a photo in the message because this forum re-sizes photos..with the link, you see it full-size)

and besides the obvious proof in the photo,
people have seen it!! and confirmed its plastic!
Check here also:

http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48729

more first-hand accounts can be read there.
several people have personally seen and touched the engines..
I really dont understand why this is so difficult for people to believe..  ??? :P

Scot

Perry Ottoman

Just small point, that pipe at the back aint a sand line mate, its the water feed from the tender.

gwfan

Have seen in Sam's , plastic, won't buy
Modelling BR (W) late 1950's in 4mm 00 and large scale garden using Bachmann and LGB 1:20.3/ 1:22

Loco Bill Canelos

Scot,

Don't get so uptight.  I was only trying to reconcile the fact that the display indicates the loco has metal siderods, wheels & detail parts.  You are right Bachmann has done some strange things in the past, and this looks like one of them.  I am trying to document the set for a book I am writing.  Many people have in good faith provided incorrect information to me in the past, so it is important to me to be absolutely sure, and verify everything.  

There is often confusion when a new item comes out, and this is no different.  I appreciate your input and still need answers to the other questions about the set.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

scottychaos

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on October 02, 2007, 12:25:06 PM
Scot,

Don't get so uptight.

who is uptight??  8)
I dont believe I have portrayed the slightest bit of uptightness..
just pointing out the facts..

but thanks for playing.  :D

Scot

kennywsp4

Just got home from sams. I can safely say the side rods are plastic. But the leds are on both sides of the caboose. But the display has it on only one side. Cost cutting measure on the display I am sure.Caboose is track powered have not checked the set out fully yet to see if the sounds etc are also track powered will post that later.

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Kenny,

Still none in my local store, See if you can get the car number of the gondola if you get the chance.  Did you notice if the caboose or stock car have a number?  Also was wondering what the lettering is on the caboose letterboards? 

Thanks again!

Loco Bill Canelos

Meant to add this to my last post.  For those who want an Annie in a set:

Someone in an earlier post said tha Bachmann never put an Annie in a Big Hauler set except for Sam's & Boscov's.   In reality there are actually two such sets.

Set 90059 White Pass & Yukon has an Annie.  It is a nice passenger set. MSRP $425

Set 90047 is a Bachmann Big Hauler set Wonderland Flyer which is a remake of the earlier Sam's 2004 set, but the new set has the simpler valve gear.  MSRP $450

Details of both sets can be found in the 2007 Bachmann Catalog.  They are Limited Editions.  I haven't seen a street price on them yet. 

kennywsp4

Gondola says on ends NP&S 50807. No numbers on stock car or caboose. If I understand what you mean the lettering is the  NORTH POLE & SOUTHERN.
Still not sure if the sound etc is run by the track or batteries. I have no track laid anywhere yet to try train out on yet.The instruction Manuel is not clear on it either. But the tender has contact shoes on the wheels and also the battery compartment on tender has the normal  hook ups for battery inside. Seems to me if they bypassed the battery compartment  for track feed .Why spend the extra parts/money to put the electrical contacts etc in the compartment.
   Over all i like the set the only problem I can maybe see, is if the leds are bright that maybe you might have"bleed through "back into the caboose and may not look right. Figure that could be fixed by a quick paint job on the inside of caboose to darken  it.

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks again Kenny, 

Appreciate the help.  I will look forward to hearing what you find out about the caboose lighting & track contacts.

Mark Oles

While I am not so much a starter set guy,  I do like the idea of the lights on the loco, tender and caboose.  Kind of different, and while it might not appeal to all, I think it is neat.  The way my railroad runs outside, it would certainly look cool all lit up on a dark December night.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the after Christmas sale price.  If the price is right, it might join the roster, but I would need to repaint the valve gear and side rods immediately! 

Did the set come with knuckle or hook and loop couplers?

Mark

kennywsp4

kennywsp4

OK I finally put a few straight pieces of track together and hooked up engine, tender and caboose.
The bad the leds are dependent on track voltage, so slow speed = low light output. the good they do get nice and bright plus the caboose light does not bleed through. Plus the engiine sounds etc are still powered through the nine volt so the sams site  details are wrong on that point.
Any toher questions feel free to ask.

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Kenny,

For those who might want a lighted caboose, it would be easy to swap shells and add a light or some clear LESs inside inplace of the colored LESs.

Do the LEDs stay lit all the time or do they flash on and off as the train runs?

kennywsp4

They are track powered also so depending on the current  is how bright they are and if throttle off no lights at all.