News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dead spot and connectors

Started by rabbibgr, January 14, 2014, 12:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbibgr

I have two issues, the first is with my 4-6-0 engine, it stops every time it goes over a particular turnout. A little push restores power, it does not happen on any other turnout The turnout must be OK as my other diesel engine passes over it with no problem, at any speed, the headlight doesn't even blink. I filed a bit off the bottom bump as suggested in other messages, everything looks shiny but nothing helped. Could there be a dead spot that affects one engine and not the other.
The next thing relates to the connectors for the turnouts, they do not solidly connect, the connectors going into the switch controls will fall out by themselves and the connections to the turnouts seem very flimsy. I have to constantly check and adjust connections for turnouts and power supply.
Thanks for your help

jonathan

rabbibgr,

I have had this problem in the past.  This may not be your problem, but:

Check the straight rail that sits all by itself inside the turnout.  I had a dead one.  Fixed it by soldering a jumper wire to the straight rail and connecting the other end of the wire to the next adjoining piece of straight rail.

This dead spot does not affect diesels because of the distance between the two trucks.  However, on small steamers, a little dead spot can stop the locomotive.  Again, can't tell if this is your problem, but the symptom is the same as I've had.

Regards,

Jonathan

rabbibgr

I seem to have gotten past the dead spot problem,
but I cant figure out how to make the turnout connectors stay put, especially in the turnout switches, they seem to just fall out any suggestions