Any easy way to get inside the medium Vanderbilt tender?

Started by NevinW, February 12, 2007, 06:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

I tried to open the Bachmann Vanderbilt tender last night and despite removing several screws it defied all attempts to be disassembled.  Usually with these things it is a matter of pushing a couple tabs at the same time and some tab or part is just stiff.   But before I break something, I thought I would check to see if there is any special trick to this.  The instructions that come with the tender are not terribly helpful.  Thanks -  Nevin

SteamGene

Look midway between the trucks and you should see part of the brake mechanism.  Next to it is a hole.  In the hole is a screw.  Unscrew just that screw, then take the top rear of the water tank and ease it back and up.  The curcuit board is exposed.  You get into the coal bunker by taking a small flat bladed screwdriver or thin knife blade and prying the load up and out.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r0bert

there is a second screw, hidden by the front truck, which also be removed .

NevinW

I'll look for the screw hidden by the front truck.  The one in the deep hole was the first to come out.  It didn't seem to release anything.  Thanks for the advice.   -  Nevin

SteamGene

The initial impression on removing the screw is that nothing has happened.  Again, ease the water tank to the rear and up. 
BTW, has anybody converted the SP style hand rails to something close to C&O style - IOWS - useful only to somebody crawling on the running broard?  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"